Chapter 48| Graduation

"Welcome graduating class of Greenview high!" The principal cheered through the microphone. We all erupted in cheers and applause.

Today doesn't feel real at all. My whole senior year doesn't feel real. If I were to tell a stranger everything that happened during my senior year, they'd call me crazy or just feel bad for me.

I zone out as the principal and other staff members, who've I never seen in my life, start giving speeches.

This might've possibly been the best and worst year of high school.

I look around and all the smiling faces around me. I can see Genevieve sitting at the stage, and even though others might not even notice, but she looks nervous as hell. She was chosen as class valedictorian, and her parents didn't have to pay this time.

I've never been more proud of her before.

"Now please welcome your class valedictorian, Genevieve Cordova!"

I make sure to cheer louder than anyone in my row. She glances over at my section with a big smile as she gets closer to the podium.

She takes out her flashcards, pulling the mic closer to her.

She nervously looks down at the cards then at the crowd. "Screw these." She says, ripping the cards right down the middle.

A few gasps and cheers come from the crowd. Genevieve takes a deep breath then clears her throat.

"Hello, senior class of Greenview high!" She nervously laughs. "Well, what can I say? We did it! After years of anticipating this moment, we're finally here."

She looks left and right at the two divided sections. "Now look to your left and right. You've probably seen these faces all four years of high school, maybe just one, or maybe you were unfortunate to know these faces since kindergarten. You won't see these faces next school year. In fact, you might never see them again, because after today, your Greenview alumni's. Students that once walked the crowded halls of Greenview with smiles and laughter."

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind never seeing these people ever again.

I'm surprised how great Genevieve's speech is going. I know how much she spent working on it.

"After tomorrow, we'll begin the rest of our lives. Some of us will become health care workers, teachers, business owners, maybe even a celebrity. So enjoy these last moments of being a high school senior. Also, enjoy my young face, you might see it on the cover of a magazine in a few years." She puckers her lips.

A few laughs come from the crowd then she clears her throat. "What I'm trying on to say is congratulations, you guys! We did it. Through all those stressful tests and nerve-racking college admissions, we did it. I wish the best for each and every one of you!"

We all cheer and she bows her head. As she walks back to her seat I look back to Grayson he smiles at me too.

This school year will always hold a special place in my heart. It'll be remembered as the year Grayson and I met, started dating, and fell in love.

Some lady walks up to the podium then starts naming off names in alphabetical order.

Of course, my last name is with an R so I start daydreaming as all the names go by.

Genevieve's goodbye party is tomorrow then she leaves for New York. I'll miss her so much. But it's the best for her. I can only imagine all the clothes she'll design and all the covers her face will be plastered on.

Grayson leaves for Colorado too. The last time I went this long without seeing him was probably his coma. He was there physically but I couldn't talk to him. These next few days are going to be the most boring days ever.