Chapter 9| We're fine

"It's fine. We're fine." I reassure him.

"Selena he put your hands on you! That's never okay. He's fucking lucky I don't report him or something." He clenches his jaw.

I put my hand on his arm and say, "I'm fine. Really."

He takes a deep breath and shakes it off. He continues writing down on the worksheet and I do the same. We didn't have much to practice on so this session was shorter than the others. It's also our last session at the library since they're closing for renovations.

I'm still having trouble processing everything that happened yesterday. Grayson is the only person I've really told. Genevieve kept blowing up my phone but I just muted her.

Maybe the party on Friday will clear my mind.

"Are you busy Friday?" I ask.

He shakes his head no without looking up.

"There's this party on Friday and I think you should go." I smile.

He looks up at me like I'm crazy. "I don't do parties."

"Pretty please? Come on Genevieve convinced me to go. Can't I convince you?" I pout my lips.

"Just so I can be clinging onto you the whole time? Besides, I have homework to catch up on." He says.

"You're going to spend your Friday night catching up on homework? As Genevieve would say; Lame!"

"My parents are going out of town to take care of my aunt or something and I get the whole place to myself. Not that I'm doing anything interesting but being home alone is so relaxing." He smiles.

"See your parents won't know you're not home. Even if it's for one drink. Just think about it, okay?" I sigh.

"I don't want you at that party," Calvin states over the phone.

I roll my eyes and so does Genevieve. "We talked about this. About taking things slow."

Genevieve snatches the phone from me and runs to the other side of the room. "Listen asshole, you don't control Selena. You're fucking lucky she even forgave you for putting your hands on her! So don't tell her what the fuck to do, got it? If she wants to show up to that party, which she does, she will show up and not give a fuck on what you have to say about it!"

My jaw drops at the number of times Genevieve cursed and I snatch the phone from her.

"Genevieve butt out of this! You know-"

"It's me! It's me!" I take the phone off speaker and press it to my ear.

"Tell your friend to butt out of our relationship." He scoffs.

"Stop it," I warn him. "You know she's only kidding."

"No, I am not!" Genevieve says loudly.

I wave her off with my hand and playfully roll my eyes. "But she's right, Calvin. You can't boss me around and tell me where I can and can't go."

"I know but it's just-"

"Calvin."

He sighs and I smile in relief. "I guess you're right."

"Thank you."

"But tell Genevieve that this relationship is between us. Calvin and Selena. Not Calvin, Selena, and Genevieve." He sounds pissed off.

"Sure do." I nod even though he can't see me.

"I gotta go, Scarlett's calling me."

"Ok, goodbye," I say.

"I love you, Selena."

I look at Genevieve who's focused on picking at her cuticles. Fuck why can't I say it?

"I love you too, Cal," I say then quickly hang up.

Genevieve's head shoots up and she looks at me with a confused face. I climb onto my bed and start scrolling through the tv channels.

"You still love him after your argument?"

I gulp and say, "Yep."

"Bullshit." She disagrees.

After telling Grayson about everything yesterday I just felt guilty and told Gen everything over a phone-call.

She rolls her eyes and opens my closet. She starts moving the hangers and looking at all the stuff I have in there.

She pulls out a few things and throws them on my bed. I look over my shoulder and see her concentrated on the clothes spread out on my legs and on the rest of the bed.

She grabs a black tank top and holds it out. "How much have your boobs grown since middle school?"

"I went from A to C in one summer," I reply.

"You wanna show off your boobs on Friday or do you need permission from Calvin for that?" She asks seriously.

"Haha very funny. And if I want people talking to me I want them looking at my eyes not glancing at my boobs every few seconds." I carefully step off the bed and see all the clothes she has sprawled out.

I never realized how many black shirts I have. I grab a pair of black jeans and set them aside. Genevieve pulls out a crop top and looks at me with puppy dog eyes. It's a band T-shirt cut in half that I got at a thrift store and ended up cutting and sewing it up.

I rush over to my drawers and pull open my underwear drawer. I dig to the very back and pull out a small packet.

I bring it out and hold it out. Genevieve looks down at it and her eyes light up. She takes it from my hand and grins. "You can never go wrong with fishnets."