Chapter 36| Dresses

"What about this one?" I twirl around in the long dress in front of Genevieve.

She looks me up and down, clicking her tongue to the roof of her mouth. "I don't think yellow is your color."

I gasp, looking myself back in the mirror again. She's right. Yellow is not my color. "I think I've tried on about every single color and you still don't like any of them!"

She hands me a dress from the rack and I look it up and down. "A white one? It's not my wedding, it's prom."

"Just try it! Hurry, I want it to be my turn!" She whines.

I chuckle and disappear into the dressing rooms.

It feels like no matter what dress I tried on, I didn't like any of them. The color either didn't look good on me or the style was just ugly. I finally change back into my normal clothes, walking out of the dressing room with a frown on my face. Genevieve sighs in relief when she sees me and takes all the dresses she picked in her arms.

She rushes into the dressing room and I sit on the comfy couch.

I feel like I tried on every single prom dress in this store. How did none of them look the way I wanted them to? I lean my head back and lightly groan.

"What do you think?" Genevieve asks. I look over at her as she looks at herself in the mirror. She has a big smile on her face as she twirls around.

The dress is a dark green color and it looks amazing on her. I can't help but wonder what it'd look like on me. It's a simple dress with a long slit. It's not too puffy or too slim.

"It looks g-great," I mumble.

"I think this might be the one." She grins, twirling the dress with her hands. She looks herself up and down in the mirror, the grin never leaving her face.

"Sel?" She turns around, looking at me concerned. "You good?"

I nod.

She looks down at the dress, biting down on her lip. "You like the dress, don't you?"

I bite on the inside of my cheek as she rests her hands on her hips. I shake my head no and she rolls her eyes.

"Selena I know you! You can say you like it for yourself," she turns to the mirror and looks at herself one more time. "I can just find another dress if you want."

"What? No, I don't! Green wouldn't look good on me at all. I'll just stick to lighter colors." I quickly say before I start to regret it.

"It's a dress, Selena! I'll be fine. I promise you. Just say you like it and I'll choose another one!" She laughs.

"No. I'll just look for a dress somewhere else." I shake it off. "Besides, I could never afford it. I don't get paid until Saturday."

"It's the first dress I've tried on, I'm sure I'll find an even better one later." She tries her best to sound cheerful.

"Isn't it too early for a baby shower?" I ask, scrolling through my phone. Grayson sets the plate down on the table and sits across from me. He takes the phone from my hands and turns it off.

"You need to get your mind off of Gaby's baby shower that she didn't invite you to, and focus on your math homework." He sets the phone down across the table.

I roll my eyes. "She did invite me! It just hasn't gotten to me yet."

"Right." He opens his textbook and I can see the tiny smirk on his face. I roll my eyes and fold my arms across my chest.

"I mean after everything they've done you'd think they'd at least invite me," I mumble.

"Why would you even go? You'd get everything rubbed in your face. It revolves around the pregnant girl. The pregnant girl that your ex-boyfriend got pregnant behind your back." He reminds me.

I feel my mouth slightly drop as he continues doing his work like he never said anything. "Have you been hanging around Genevieve? You've never talked like that before."

"I don't like seeing you get hurt by stuff they do. I know you wouldn't be happy at that baby shower either."

I stay quiet because I know he's right. He's right. I wouldn't be happy at that baby shower. The thought of Gaby carrying Calvin's baby still makes me sick.

I've forgiven her but that doesn't mean I'll forget it.

"Have you found a prom dress yet?" Grayson's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Not really." I mope. "Genevieve tried on this super pretty dress but she really liked it. I didn't want to admit that I liked it so I left empty-handed."

"Did she buy it?" He asks.

I shake my head no and say, "I think she was going to talk to her parents about it. But I didn't want to take away her spotlight or anything. So I kept quiet."

"That's another thing I love about you. You always care about other's feelings. Which you should fix because you need to care for yourself first, but I still love it." He grins.

I furrow my eyebrows at him and manage to say, "You suck with your words."