Chapter 78

Friday September 20th, 2013

A busied silence emanated from Catalina's student council room. Its members were occupied with the day-to-day tasks their respective positions entailed, each working in their own space, not unlike the stereotypical office cubicle. Madison was in such a space, one that proudly sported the 'President' plaque next to its entrance way. That plaque has stood there in her area for three years, and she was deadset on making it four. The next round of school elections wouldn't be for a while, but Madison was already brainstorming her possible campaign strategies. She wasn't concrete on anything quite yet, but what she was confident on what that the Mojave Rose tankery team would be involved in some manner. Valarie, her lovely sister, would, of course, be supportive of her endeavors and allow her team to be campaign props. That's what sisters do for each other, after all. That was what Madison believed, a thought that she didn't dwell on for too long because the election was a few months away. She had all that time to perfect her strategy.

For now, she had pressing matters to attend to. Chiefly, the play that was to premiere next Wednesday. Though Madison didn't have an acting role, musicals weren't her thing. She did play a vital role behind the scenes, organizing actors and actresses, set design, the whole shebang. What Madison desired now was for Valarie to come and see the play she and the rest of the theater department had worked so hard to bring to life. Madison was entirely confident that Valarie would accept an invitation to come to the play...if the play didn't also premiere at the same time the team had their meeting that evening. It was quite the schedule conflict. Madison leaned back in her chair as she ran through her options to clear that up. The Mojave Rose tankery team wasn't officially associated with Catalina School of the Arts. They were only guests and hosted on the school ship. Consequently, Madison did not wield the authority to make them cancel a meeting. Well...she could...no that wouldn't work...unless...hold on...

"Madison."

Alice's voice brought a halt to Madison's train of thought. She swiveled her chair around to face her best friend. She held a paper in her hand.

"Daydreaming?" Alice teased with a grin.

"Mmm, more or less. I was thinking of a way to have Valarie attend the play next week, but she has that meeting going on at the same time."

Alice tapped a finger on her chine before an eyebrow raised with thought.

"The team will be leaving for their match a few days early, right?"

"Yes, Madison confirmed. "They'll be leaving early Thursday morning because they need the time to acclimate to the rising altitudes. Twelve thousand feet above sea level is no joke."

"When will their tanks be transported to the match area?"

"Tuesday night, from what Valarie told me."

"Soo," Alice said, all drawn out. "On Wednesday, the Mojave Rose tankery team will have their meeting...without their tanks?"

Madison looked at her friend blankly for a solid few seconds before speaking again.

"...Right. I could talk with their instructor. Maybe I can offer the entire team free admission to the play—a night of fun and relaxation before a long trip to a match. I can sell it as a morale booster."

Alice nodded her head in approval.

"Give them the front two rows because that team has like over sixty people, and that's a lotta people for a sports team."

Madison chuckled.

"Tell me about it," the paper in Alice's hands reentered her thoughts. "Whatcha got there?"