Chapter 28

Sunday, April 14th 2013

Being a week away from home and spending hours at airports and in the air, Emma was glad to be home, lounging on her comfortably warm bed. It was the late afternoon, the rays of the setting sun streaked across the room, and on her body. Thankfully these strips on light didn't hit her eyes, which would've prevented her from being in a state of relaxation. Just next to her bed was her bags, still filled with her clothes, as she had procrastinated in unpacking. As she laid in her bed, her mind was active with thought. She was thinking about the upcoming Tuesday. The 16th of April. Valarie's birthday where she would turn seventeen years old, one year shy of adulthood. Emma had spent much thought on Valarie's gift, her best friend, and now, the love of her life. She had decided early on that it wouldn't be just one particular thing. As it was Valarie's day, Emma was determined to make it memorable. She had written it down on a notebook how it will down. After reviewing it a few more times, adding a detail here and there, she smiled as she closed the notebook. Ashley and Heather had texted her earlier in the day to inform her that they had got their own gifts. Almost everything was in their places. All that remained was Valarie's physical gift. Thankfully for this part of her plan, she didn't have to go to the store to get it. Nor did she have to spend any money. It was just outside. She rose from the bed, left her room, and headed outside. Grabbing a pair of gloves along the way.

Redwood was spending his Sunday with Buchanan at her apartment. The couple was sitting at the kitchen table, drinking freshly brewed cups of coffee. The mood in the room was tranquil as the two enjoyed the other's presence. They chatted about various things, a topic that inevitably came up was her meeting with the ATA officials. The most dramatic meeting Redwood has ever heard of.

"So, sometime in the next few days, we can expect new safety rules to be enacted by the ATA president herself. I can only imagine the conversation those officials I 'persuaded' will have with the president. Awkward is not even a suitable enough word. And then there's the case with the carbon linings. All the vehicles of every tankery team is to have their carbon linings replaced with the improved version over the course of the next several months. It's going to be a busy time for maintainers, for sure."

"Amazing! You've accomplished all of that in one meeting! That must've been the most productive meeting in history. How do you feel?"

Buchanan sipped on her coffee.

"I feel like this should've already been done ages ago. But other than that? Pretty damn good."

On her lap, and has been the entire time, was Soap. Happily purring as she napped. With a free hand, Buchanan petted her.

"Though, that's not all that happened."

"Oh?"

"There has been a change with my monthly settlement. That is, they aren't monthly anymore."

Redwood became concerned.

"Gabby, what have they done with your settlement?"

"Not they, it was me. I gave up my settlement to sweeten the deal."

"Woah..."

The selfless act undertaken by Buchanan made Redwood love her even her financial future now in jeopardy, he was determined to help her in any way he could.

"Did you save portions of your settlement in a savings account?" he asked.

"I did. I was always paranoid that they would cut me off for whatever reason. So I put large chunks of my monthly cheeks in a savings account."

"Smart. How much do you have?"

Buchanan leaned back in her chair to think for a moment.

"Ah, last I checked I believe it was half a million dollars."