Chapter 32

Monday, April 29th 2013

Port of Long Beach

Catalina School of the Arts Carrier

An idea that sprouted in the times of the Roman and perfected by the British in the 19th century, the school ship has become the largest vessels ever constructed to sail the seven seas. Cruise ships and aircraft carriers even from the most well-funded militaries cannot even hope to match such ships in size. For one art school, their carrier rests at the Port of Long Beach. Home to fifteen-thousand people and at six miles across, it is one of the smaller schools ships operating but it is, bar none, the most modern school ship ever to set sail. On the tops of every building on the carrier, are solar panels with tracking technology to maximize energy output. In several areas here and there clustered together are wind turbines, working best when the ship is moving. Though it's just not wind and solar that are powering this ship. Far below deck, at the most bottom layer, a pair of nuclear reactors provide the ship with propulsion. That and much more makes it so a person will enjoy life at sea without any of the drawbacks. And, as it is the ship for an art school, the name for the ship is appropriate. Rembrandt. The famous Dutch artist. At Catalina's campus, in the student council room, Madison was on one of the computers, busily typing away. She was alone for a while before the door opened and in entered Alice.

"Ah, figured you were here when you weren't are your dorm." she said, closing the door behind her.

"MmmHmm. I'm just securing our travel arrangements for the next match in the tournament."

"Already? It's only been two days since the last one."

"I don't want to do this at the last minute. You still jet lagged?"

"No. Montana isn't as far a place like Britain or Germany. I was cold nearly the entire time though."

"I told you to bring something nice and warm."

"Well, sorry for thinking spring meant pleasant weather."

"Luckily for you, the next place will give you all the heat you want. Las Vegas."

"All right!" Alice said excitedly.

"Las Vegas, New Mexico that is."

Alice looked at her with disbelief.

"You're kidding, right?"

"Nope."

Madison swung the monitor so that Alice could see the screen.

"Seriously? Another desert? That makes three now!"

"The ATA loves the desert huh?"

"And it's not even the real Vegas!"

"We're not old enough to gamble anyways."

Alice sat down at a chair next to her and pouted. Madison gave her a comforting pat on the back.

"Whatever. At least the matches are entertaining. And that Montana one was entertaining. Especially how it ended, man, pretty brutal what happened to that, uh, tank."

"It was a Sherman Firefly."

"Ah. I see. Well, I'm no tank expert unlike yourself." Alice teased.

"Oh, please. I only just learned what that tank was called yesterday."

"Mmm. And I'm betting that you know her tank too."

"Her tank?" Madison questioned.

"You know who I am referring to. Her."