Chapter 69

Sunday, September 8th 2013

A day off did her good, her batteries recharged. Though Valarie had to fill in for Madison unexpectedly, she did actually find enjoyment going to that emergency student council and playing her role in it as it was different from her day to day life. Though she was more than eager to get right back into things.

"Labor of love?" Madison asked curiously. "What does that mean exactly?"

"Things people do in their spare time. True passion projects. I think people who create art for themselves and not for a grade is a greater expression of their character." Valarie explained, pride filling her voice.

Madison smiled and nodded.

"Nicely said and well-done for being instrumental to organizing the exhibition on such a short notice," she complimented. "Viola is already being, ah, well, you know."

"A pain?"

"...Yes. But don't tell her I said that. I like the girl, I truly do. Don't want her to reconsider and leave," Madison's grin grew. "You know, word has spread like lightning. We're already receiving submissions."

"That's good to hear," Valarie remarked. "I do want to go to that exhibition when Wednesday comes."

"For sure. No doubt they'll be all kinds of interesting art pieces. Especially from this one girl whose work is the pure definition of bizarre."

"Oh? What does she make?"

"She paints what she dreams, and by god, does the girl dream some weird stuff."

Dreams. Hearing that word compelled Valarie to reflect on her dreams. Before Mojave Rose revived its tankery team, the last time she dreamed was four years ago. Since then, in this year alone, she already had two. She still remembered the vivid details of each.

"What's her name?" Valarie asked.

"Andromeda."

Valarie looked at Madison for a few moments puzzled.

"Is that her nickname?"

"No, no. It's her legal name."

"Her parents named her after the galaxy?"

"She is named after a Greek mythological figure that the galaxy takes it name from."

"Huh. Okay. When a parent really wants a unique name for their child, they'll resort to anything I guess," Valarie noted. "Now, I wanna know more about practice yesterday. I would've asked you when you came home, but not long after you arrived you were fast asleep."

Madison let out a small laugh. The clothes she wore was still Valarie's uniform. As she had slept in it, it was all wrinkly."

"My oh my was it exhausting and fun at the same time. We followed your agenda to a tee, so it all went smoothly though Harper did see right through it. Oh...there is other thing." Madison said, her tone shifting to anxiousness.

"What is it?"

"I, uh, might have promised something regarding that Churchill."

"What did you promise, Madison?"

Madison took in a huge breath and brought her hands together.

"I promised that the Churchill will be repaired and ready faster than the SU. Uh. I've come to understand that the SU—"

"Took a whole day," Valarie finished. "Our SU-100 was very damaged when we got it. Just a hair from being destroyed. The whole team came together to repair the thing. It was a lot of work."