Chapter 10

January 14th, 2013

The following Monday started off like any other day. Valarie awoke, got dressed, packed lunch, and rode the bus with Emma to school. A routine she had down countless times before and something she can do without thinking. The girls conversed with each other with as much enthusiasm as the day they met way back in the second grade. In fact, as their friendship evolved and strengthened, the enthusiasm would only increase. The topic, of course, was tankery. Valarie shared with Emma all the possible strategies she had crafted to be used against Valentine. Emma offered her opinion here and there.

"It's all still a work in progress. Nothing is concrete. Though with the SU-14, I'm positive that where I put it will be great no matter what." Valarie explained.

"You stressed about this match? It's the halfway point in the tournament. The teams we'll be facing will only be better skilled."

Valarie pondered for a moment.

"Truthfully, not super stressed. I'm about as stressed for this match as I would be stressed about a test."

"Hopefully not a chemistry test." Emma teased.

The two girls entered into laughter. After it subsided, they reclined into their seats and relaxed as the bus drove them to school. They then got off and went to their classes. The school day transpired like any other.

In Room 34, the team was just sitting around waiting for their instructor. The room was a cacophony of chatter. With the new tankers, the room was becoming quite snug and as everyone knew that the team would inevitably grow the room will become crowded. That was the future though, an unknown one. It was better to spend their energy focusing on the known future. A few minutes later, Buchanan arrived with Redwood in tow, each carrying boxes.

"Hello everyone." Buchanan greeted.

They both set down boxes on the table at the front of the room.

"Today, we will be learning a new school. In a way, you'll be learning a new language."

She opened the box in front of her and got out a clicker.

"The hell is that?" Ashley asked.

"This...is a more code transmitter." Buchanan revealed.

Redwood passed to each crew member a transmitter. They all studied the thing in their hands.

"Our new tankers, Haley and Harper, suggested that we learned morse code to have an alternative form of communication. I think it was a great idea so we are learning it. Though radio operators and commanders who manage the radio will be the ones transmitting morse code, it's important that everyone knows what is being sent and received."

A majority of the team found what they were doing fascinating, especially Heather, who was totally captivated. Ashley was the least enthusiastic of the team.

"Really? We're gonna send telegrams to each other? Like this isn't a joke?" she complained

"I thought you liked retro things." Valarie questioned

"The line between retro and old trash is a firm one and it got passed."

"Well...you don't have a choice now, do you?"

Ashley sighed and looked at the paper that was also passed around. It was a beginner's guide to morse code. She set it aside. After a few moments of staring at the ceiling, she grabbed both the paper and the transmitter.

"Fine."

The team spent the meeting learning morse code. They wouldn't master this manner of communication on the first day. But, with regular practice, they'll be adept users having an edge over teams who don't know about the dits and dashes. The possibilities with morse code seemed endless and the commanders were eager to how to implement it in their strategies. The tankery meeting transpired like any other day.