Chapter 67

Wednesday, September 4th 2013

Catalina's School Carrier

Atlantic Ocean

The Mojave Rose tankery team was going well. Two matches into the internationals and two victories to their name. If the team made it all the way to the end, it would mean they would've fought a total of nine matches, one per month, all culminating in the world finals that will take place next March. The road to the finals will be the polar opposite of easy. It will not be straightforward, rather, it will be filled with twist and turns and covered with obstacles and hazards, known and unknown. No one on the team was deluded thinking that it was going to be straightforward anyway. And, who's to say that Mojave Rose will even make it all the way to the end to the finals? For all they know, the road that they are on right now could terminate in a dead end with hostile guns poised to send them back to California.

Getting more tanks will definitely improve their odds. But that's the problem. The rate that the team was acquiring new vehicles was slow and sporadic. As a result, the team since day one have suffered being at the number's disadvantage. They have managed to overcome this, though with tanks like an IS-3 and Super Pershing most certainly makes up for the lack of vehicles. Still, more tanks would be welcome. This was on Valarie's mind. Has been since the team got organized. Other schools didn't have this problem. For some schools, what they agonize over is choosing what tanks to field out of their large roster. Mojave Rose's tank problem did not stem from the fact that they lacked the funds to purchase thanks. Madison was more than wiling to pay for any and all tanks the team wants, and has done so for the AMR and Type 97.

It was finding them that was the issue.

With the internationals in full swing, tanks were becoming a scarce commodity as numerous tankery teams were snatching them up at every conceivable opportunity. Even teams not participating in the world competition were acquiring tanks as if they were going to be extinct to bolster their teams for the smaller and more local competitions in their home country. Some schools were even already preparing their teams for the next world tournament.

At her desk in her apartment, Valarie was on her computer searching for a new tank for the team but an hour of searching has yielded nothing. They were a handful of WW1 tanks and others from the Interwar years but they were so woefully outdated compared to the Panthers, Pershings, and Tigers that were common to encounter at this level of competition. She rubbed her eyes as they were strained by the bright glow of her computer screen, then sighed.

"You're up early."

Turning around, Valarie found Emma who had just awoken less than a minute ago.

"It's a little past 5:30 in the morning." she informed.

"I know," Valarie replied. "A lot of things are on my mind. Made me wake early."

"A lot of things, huh? Like what."

"Main concern is where out next tank will be coming from. The sooner we get another the better."

"I getcha. Any luck?"

Valarie brought her hands to her face.

"No." she admitted, her voice muffled behind her hands.

Emma hugged Valarie from behind and laid a kiss on the top of her head.

"We'll get another tank soon enough. Hey, it's probably closer than you think. Now, you've been working a lot and I've been meaning-"

"Hold on, what did you just say?" Valarie asked, interrupting her. She stood straight up in her chair.