Chapter 86

"No."

Ever since the meeting came to an end, that word has been repeated in Valarie's mind. There was no hesitation when Marielle said that to her before promptly leaving the garage. The refusal has left her in a confused state as Valarie didn't know how to proceed on this. She couldn't walk in the garage for tomorrow's meeting with this business left unresolved. A plan needed to be hashed out.

Valarie recalled what Gabrielle had said of her days of being an athlete way back in the 1980s. Of how people back then coveted and clamored to be team captain. To be in a position of leadership. But, in these modern times, that was not what Valarie was seeing. She saw athletes that were hesitant, almost fearful, at the prospect of leadership. It was what prevented the team from assuming overall command when it was direly needed. And it very nearly cost them a victory. Why this has changed is something she will have to look further into.

"Are you okay?"

The sound of Emma's voice caused Valarie to jolt a little. Ever since the pair returned to their apartment from the meeting, Valarie has been out on the balcony sitting on an oversized chair, staring off into the darkening skies.

"I am," she replied after a moment. Valarie rubbed her face as it had become cold from the evening chill. "Just been thinking a lot. About Marielle."

"So, what now?" Emma inquired. "If Marielle won't be third-in-command, who will? Do you have any other candidates?"

"All the tank commanders who have been on the team since the very start are all fine choices. Natalie, Mia, Robin, Aurora, and so on. But, with Marielle, choosing her just feels right, and I've got the most confidence with her."

"Because of what she did in Bolivia, huh?"

"Not just that," Valarie was quick to point out. "But of her entire time she has been with the team. I've noticed just how much she has grown since the early days. When the team got their first batch of tanks, I remember Marielle being this shy girl asking me loads of questions about her tank and the sport in general. And she was a freshman then, so not only was she still getting used to high school, but also being introduced to one hell of a sport. Now? Well...she ain't shy anymore."

"Right. And, you wanting a third-in-command isn't only to have a safeguard in matches, hmm," Emma hummed. She leaned a bit closer to Valarie. "You're thinking of the long-term, aren't you?"

Valarie let out a little laugh along with a faint blush. "Yes...someone who constantly tells people to think about the here and now is herself thinking about the future."

"There's nothing wrong with that, though I do find it a bit funny. You think Marielle has it what it takes to assume team command when the time comes?"

Valarie didn't immediately respond as she took a moment to ponder. Before, thinking of her successor was a matter that never crossed her mind. Now, with the team nearing the first anniversary of its creation, the thought has come to her a handful of times. Valarie was currently a junior, and her senior year would arrive sooner than she thought. Though she still had over a year with Mojave Rose, picking who would succeed her when her time was done required all the time in the world to do it correctly. "As team captain? Maybe. Not right away, of course. Some time being a vice-captain will give her the right experience to handle the mantel of command."

"That is if she comes around on becoming third-in-command in the first place to start this whole process of getting her ready."

Valarie let out a heavy sigh. "Yeah...if I can't convince her to take the role, then I'm really gonna start from scratch to find a solution to this leadership problem. Like hell am I gonna allow this problem to persist when we fight in the next match later this month."