Chapter 19

Monday, March 6th, 2013

Mojave Rose High School wasn't the wealthiest school around, but they had it in their budget to have a computer class to teach students the various skills desired in a modern society that is only getting more technological. This was Ashley's favorite class as it was a fantastic departure from the more traditional classroom. It was here that Ashley did not have to employ her more unconventional tactics of passing classes as she truly enjoyed it. Also, the material being taught wasn't hard, she had a knack for it, regularly being the first person to finish their assignments. Today was another day like that. Finished with her work, Ashley was just browsing the internet, the internet the school allows students to browse, where then the voice of the computer teacher interrupted the calm ambiance of the room.

"Ashley. Mister Redwood wants to see you in his office."

"Why?"

"Didn't say."

Ashley gathered her things and walked out of the computer lab. At this time of the day, the hallways were vacant, only populated by her. Leaving the building, the outside was similarly devoid of people. None of this assuaged Ashley's nervousness. Her mind raced to figure out why Redwood wanted to see her. Was it now, after all these years, would her academic dishonesty finally catch up to her? She couldn't conceive of another reason nor could she come up with some excuse. If what she feared was true, there wasn't an excuse in the world that could save her. Ashley felt ill and her nerves wrecked. It was time the face the music, whatever it was. The music, as it turns out, was something that she would have never guess as her emotions took a one-eighty the moment she entered his office.

"You're not in trouble." Redwood assured.

"But please. Lock the door."

Ashley did so and took her seat. Redwood then turned on a fan in the room.

"Oh, I'm good. It's not hot in here." Ashley said.

"It's not for temperature. It's so that no one outside this office can hear."

"What is this all about?" Ashley asked, totally confused.

Redwood typed on his computer and swung his monitor around so that she could see.

"In your computer class, you have the highest grade. In all the assignments you've turned in, they have perfect marks. Especially assignments that involve Photoshop."

"Oh yeah, those assignments are my favorite. If you know what you're doing, Photoshop is stupid fun."

"So, you would say you're skilled with the program?"

"Better than anyone in this school, no doubt." she boasted.

Redwood tapped his fingers together.

"Ashley. I'm going to ask a huge favor from you. A favor that I would really prefer if we keep low key."

"Ohh, Mister Redwood, are we doing something...illegal?"

"No. But it'll be easier if we just keep it between us."

Ashley reclined thoughtfully in her seat.

"Okay. What's up?"

Redwood, again, typed on his computer and the screen changed.

"What you are seeing is an invitation to the convention. The ATA likes to give them away at random to former tankers to encourage them to have some sort of role in the sport again. I want you to recreate it as authentically as you can but the name needs to be 'Mackenzie Hayes'."