4.5-The tragic death of Hanae Kameko and Seki Harumi

You smiled brightly at the taller woman, her beautiful short brown colored hair ​​​​flowed in the breeze. Her golden colored eyes looked at you proudly. You had just mastered the last form of star breathing. Your best friend, Seki Harumi, stared at you with the equal amount of pride. She still hasn't mastered the first form, yet she was still proud of your success. 

"Amazing job, (L/n). We can go into town later and buy 5 items of your choice. How does that sound?" Hanae, your teacher, asked you. To little 12 year old y/n, that sounded like the perfect opportunity. 

You giggled in delight. "Yeah, thanks Hanae!" You shouted in glee. Once she said those words you had already planned what to get. The three of you went inside of the shared home to get ready. You giggled and played the entire walk to the small village with Seki. Her long red colored hair whipped you in the face, causing the two of you to gasp. However, that surprise turned into even more laughter than before. 

​​​​​For a moment, your cheeks felt hot, and you felt oh so light seeing Seki laugh. Seeing her happy made you happy. It was tragic that the two of you met because your families were slaughtered, but now you had another family of your own. 

"Come on girls! You gotta hurry up before all the stores close!" Hanae shouted ahead of you. 

"Coming!" The two of you shouted, running up to your caretaker. 

"So, what are you getting?" Hanae asked you. 

"It's a surprise!" You exclaimed. 

The older woman huffed, she wasn't very much older, she was just in her mid 30's. Your eyes lit up seeing the jewelry shop. You ran to it with the shouts of Hanae behind you, with Seki following her. Your foot tapped on the wooden floor of the shop waiting for the two of them to catch up. "Jeez, if I knew you'd be a ball of sugar I wouldn't have taken you." She joked. 

"I want us to get rings." You said with a smile. 

The womans eyes softened with a smile. "Okay," She drawed out. "Pick it out." 

You smiled, your fingers traced the jewelry on display. Your eyes fought onto a ring that had golden colored wire and a pink colored crystal. "I want 3 of those." You said finally picking out what you wanted. 

Hanae handed the cashier the amount of money it costed and walked out of the store. You immediately put on your ring and urged Hanae and Seki too aswell. The ring wasn't a perfect fit, in fact, if you weren't careful it would slip off. The three of you went from store to store looking at each and every item, you didn't even notice that the sun had set until you walked out of the last store. 

"We're going to have to walk fast, okay girls? We don't know if a demon is out there and I didn't bring my sword." Hanae said softly to the two of you. You and Seki simply nodded at her and said nothing else. Your attitudes had completely changed from happy and bright to cautious and alert. 

You had speed walked, and you almost couldn't catch up to Hanae. By now you were out of sight from the village, and it was still a few miles until you reached your shared home. You heard a twig snap, and the three of you gathered closer together. 

"The star pillar...I've been looking for you." A male voice rang out. "You even have two of your successors with you." 

"Whoever you are, leave me and the two children alone." Hanae shouted sternly. But something happened. Blood poured every where. 

"Hanae!" You screamed with hot tears streaming down your face. Seki only stood there horrified. 

"(Y/n)... We have to go." Seki's voice reached out. 

"We can't leave her!" You shouted back. 

​​​​​"She's dead! There's nothing we can do!" At this point Seki was getting pissed. Both of you knew that when demons come around you had to run away, but only one of you wanted to act on it. 

Your eyes darted up to see the source and you were met with a pair of ruby red eyes. His hair was dark and he wore a suit, but there wasn't a drop of blood on him. Seki suddenly grabbed you pulling you with her. Your hand reached out to Hanae, but you only got pulled farther and farther away from her. 

"Why are you leaving her! Don't you love her!" You shouted in a protest to your friend, the tears were still streaming down your face. 

"I do! But what matters now is surviving!" She shouted back still pulling you away. Suddenly, her foot got caught onto a tree root causing the two of you to tumble down the hill. Seki quickly picked herself back up and pulled you along again. You didn't know where she was pulling you or where she planned to go, neither did Seki know where she was going. At this point you had been running for hours.

You pulled Seki back to stop her. "I think we're safe! We can stop!" You protested. 

"We can't stop until it's sunrise!" She grabbed your hand once again, but you pushed her away. 

"I think he just wanted to kill Hanae though! We're probably safe!" You denied. 

"No! We're not safe!" She grabbed your hand once again, but this time you complied. 

Your eyes widened seeing a cliff. "Seki! This isn't the right way!" You warned. 

"I know that!" She yelled back at you. "We can probably just wait it out right here." She said catching her breath. "See!" She pointed to the distance. "The sun will rise soon!"

You had turned around, not believing her, but you saw that man. You gasped looking for any way out, but the only way was the cliff. "What are you-" She cut herself off with her own look of horror. She pulled you along closer and closer to the dead end. 

"Seki! There's no other way!" You cried. 

"We're just going to have to hope for the best and jump!" She exclaimed at you. She looked back and the man was walking closer and closer as if teasing the two of you. He held zero emotion in his face, but his eyes said, gotcha. 

She looked back at him and then you and then him and then you. "(Y/n), you're not like what I'm going to do, but...the moon is beautiful, isn't it?" She said with her own tears welling up in her brown eyes, yet she still held a smile on her face. She didn't know a single form of star breathing even though she had been training for a year, you had to be the one to survive. She was the weak link. 

​​​​​"I can-" You couldn't finish the rest your sentence before she pushing you off the cliff. You reached out to grab anything, and all you grabbed was a few strands of her long red hair. You gasped hearing her screams and the sight of blood dripping off the cliff. You screamed out her name, not even noticing that your own ring had fallen off. 

Your breath stopped feeling your back hit the cold water. You opened your eyes only to see the blurry mess of air bubbles and water. You flapped your arms up and down, you didn't know how to swim, you could only doggy paddle. You pushed yourself upwards to catch a breath of air. Your eyes darted around trying to see any sign of anything. The Sun beamed onto the water, greeting it good morning. You flapped your arms closer and closer to the shore of the small river breathing in and out heavily. You almost couldn't believe it. Your second family, gone, dead, slaughtered once again. 

You cried harder and harder, not caring if anyone or anything heard you. You squeezed your eyes feeling hot vomit rise up your throat and letting it escape your mouth into the river. The moon was beautiful tonight.