VII

*Lincoln's Pov*

Basel was gone all night and half the morning, this time I knew he wasn't at Beth's.

I was a mess, where the hell could he be?

He barely leaves the house as is, except for Beth's and I was going through hell worrying about him. Cainis told me to stay home, there wasn't much to do and he wanted to stay at home with Keller and the kids.

I was running around like a damn moron waiting for him. I slammed my fist into the wall, this was fucking stupid. Why was I even worrying about him, he left me. I kicked the wall, feeling the hole I had already put there didn't look good by itself.

"Lincoln."

I tensed, turning around.

I wanted to run to him and embrace his body in my arms, beg him to stay. Promise him we would make it through this but all that came was anger.

"Where the hell were you!"

His face contorted with guilt.

"It doesn't matter, I came back becau-"

"Like shit it doesn't matter, do you know how fucking worried I was!"

"I love you Lincoln."

He looked at me with something in his eyes.

Some inner conflict was brewing, and I didn't know what it was. Inside, my heart was soaring because he still loved me. But he said it like it was something he needed to get out so he could move on, and that pressed some button making my chest squeeze. I looked back into his eyes and saw that he had come to some conclusion.

I half expected him to leave again but he did the exact opposite. He gently took me and pressed me back against the wall and stared deep into my eyes. He leaned down and took my lips with his.

The pressure was very light at first, testing the waters to see how I would react. I broke and kissed him back, taking his upper lip in mine and caressing it. The kiss escalated from there.

His hand, previously holding my hips carefully, ventured up to my stomach, and slid under my shirt. He outlined my ribs and my defined abs. His lips ravaged my face and his hands took control of my body.

Not like this.

I loved him, but the hurt was too over the top. I wanted Basel with every fiber of my being, but he needed his unsure feelings gone. This might be some sort of closure for him and I couldn't deal with that.

"Basel. Stop."

He began nibbling on my neck, which distracted the hell out of me. His hand was now dangerously close to my groin.

"BASEL. Please." I said, begging him to let me go.

He heard something in my voice, and looked up at me. The lust was clear in his deep brown eyes, but there was also pain and regret.

He wrenched away from me.

"I'm sorry."

I was surprised at him not snapping at me.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I want you to be happy Basel, I do but I can't with all these mixed emotions going around in my mind."

I didn't want him leaving again but I couldn't give in.

He walked over to the couch.

"I need to tell you something."

He wasn't looking at me, it had me nervous about what he was going to say. I didn't see myself hurting anymore than when he left but he came back for a reason.