XXIII

*Lincoln's Pov*

It's been almost two months since Basel has been back.

A long, torturous two months. He lives with Bethany now because every time he sees me he starts screaming and crying. He doesn't function much on his own, Bethany dresses him, feeds him, gives him his showers, it's like he just shut down.

The only other person he lets near him is Princely.

I always keep myself busy with my duties but still try to visit him every weekend. I hoped that if he saw me more and more he would get better, my hope was wearing out. I didn't understand what was happening now.

I wanted to give up but how could I? He is my mate, I just didn't know what to do with him anymore.

I ran my fingers through my hair, this was honestly messed up. I wasn't blaming Nox but a part of me wondered why she gave me Basel but I couldn't live happily with him, why all these problems? The worst part is Basel is the one who keeps getting hurt.

I stood at the edge of the cliff looking down. It was pointless to think of something so meaningless.

"Don't be futile."

Her voice made me jolt backwards.

"You scared me shitless!"

"That was not my intentions."

"What are you doing here?"

I knew she didn't come here to just chit chat.

"I would like to help you with Basel. I do not like seeing My Children in such a sorrowful state as you two are."

"Good luck, Basel hates my guts now."

"He would never."

"I'm pretty sure he already does."

I didn't see how she could help when I have been trying for over a month now.

"Do not make assumptions."

"Then tell me what to do."

I was desperate for anything right now.

"I can not tell you what to do, I can only make you understand what is happening to Basel. You must figure the rest out on your own."

I sat down "So what is happening to Basel?"

"He is at war with himself."

"What?"

She was a little too vague for me, what would he be at war with himself for?

"Hinder may recognize you as his mate, the other half of his soul but Basel himself was also in love with Roderick. They are fighting each other, Hinder wants you but Basel is still grieving."

I wasn't sure how she wanted me to react to hearing my mate was in love with someone else. I didn't even react, I was too hurt.

How could he love someone else when he was my mate? I thought that wasn't supposed to happen.

"How is that going to help? I can't make him stop grieving."

"No but Princely can."

"Princely?"

I knew not to raise my voice at her but I was too shocked, what did Princely have to do with Basel?

"Princely is not simply a shifter, he is part Ochrana."

"That's not possible...they're extinct."

"They are not extinct but very rare."

"Why would he choose Basel though? He didn't even care for him before."