XLIII

*Lincoln's Pov*

Basel grunted in his sleep, turning around on his side. He hasn't really been awake since the kidnapping. We've been back home for a week and all he gets up for is water, he doesn't even eat. I'm getting so worried and Lazer is going crazy for his mates health. He is practically killing himself, the worse part is he's doing it slowly.

A light tap on the door pulled my gaze from Basel's slim body. Beth came in with a sad smile on her face. She had agreed to let Basel stay here at home as long as she was able to stop by once a day.

"How is he?" She asked softly, sitting her bag down beside the door.

"The bullet wound is fine but..he still hasn't eaten Beth."

She stepped over to the side of the bed looking down at him.

"Have you told him about his sister?" A hint of sadness came with her question.

I shook my head "Look at him Beth, how can I? He can't handle it right now and I can't watch him keep slowly killing himself."

She nodded in understanding "I get that but he needs to know."

I sighed "Give me some time."

She looked at me sternly "You have three days Lincoln."

I stood up in frustration "Three days? How can you give me three days when you know what it'll do to him?"

Tears gently fell from her eyes as she spoke.

"I woke up finding her lifeless body on the ground. I held her and begged Nox not to take her from me. I buried her. The type of pain I've been through didn't even compare to losing her and I will not be made the bad guy. It has to be done, whether by you or me. You decide."

I couldn't respond. I had been so worried about Basel I hadn't considered how Beth has been handling things. Seeing her cry, admitting how hard Juniper's death was to her, had me feeling like an asshole because in my heart it was still Basel before anything.

She wiped at her face, catching a few tears before simply walking out. I just continued standing there in disbelief. I only had three days to tell Basel about his sister, three days to break him completely. I'm not prepared to deal with this. I can't live with my mate being an empty shell of a person. The thought of emotionally losing him was as bad as him being dead.

I needed something to wash down the lump in my throat. I quietly left the bedroom for the kitchen.

I mechanically moved around, grabbing a glass filling it with water. I felt life wasn't ever going to get better. Basel's suffering already, how can he live without Juniper? She just came into his life, gave him hope and love, now she's just..gone? How could she do this to him?

I couldn't help thinking how much time I'm going to have with him before he starves himself to death. I'm helpless. I've pleaded with him, practically begged him, all he does is lay back down and act like I'm not there. I even had Princely come over to help encourage him, he ended up hurting him by saying he wasn't needed and should stay away. Princely hasn't come back over either. He doesn't remember what happened that day so I don't understand what's happening, why's he doing this? Could this be some sick irony?

"Lincoln!"

I snapped my head around towards the bedroom. Without second guessing I ran back, shoving the door open quickly.

He was laying on his back now, blankets a little past his hips. I stared at him. His ribs were starting to show and his always beautiful eyes were becoming lifeless. He extended his arms out.