XXXVI

*Juniper's Pov*

Basel passed out on me by the end of the second movie.

I didn't blame him, he had a lot to take in. I wasn't sure how safe it was for me to be here but I had to, I didn't exactly have a choice.

I gently scooted Basel off of me to go get him a blanket. It was later in the night and I didn't see a point in waking him. I figured if Lincoln wanted to do it when he got back he could. I threw a quilt over his tiny body, he turned to the side curling up in it. I watched him intently for a minute.

There wasn't an ounce of denial about us being twins. The only difference between our looks, aside from our hair length, was how severely pale he was. I wasn't tan myself, my skin had a never ending tint to it unlike his though.

Lincoln clearly, without a faltering hesitancy, loved Basel like air itself. I've been here only a full day and could already tell. Even if only a day I felt for him. The way we were together was natural, good.

How could I even plan to make him consider giving this up?

Maybe I should just go. Basel didn't deserve what was coming, I'll take the fall for him. A complete lie would be me saying I wasn't scared, when indeed I was. Basel had much more to be around for than me. He has Lincoln, his pack, a future.

What do I have? I don't have a mate, a pack, a future. Yukon was all I had before, now all I have is nothing.

My thoughts had become so serious and intense that I jumped almost a foot when a soft tap sounded on the front door. I placed my hand over my chest willing my heart to calm down. By the time I got to the door I was expecting anyone else except the gorgeous woman that greeted me with a warm smile.

"Hello Juniper. I realize it is late, I was just on my way home and thought I should stop for a last visit before retiring for the night."

Goddess her voice was smoother than whiskey.

"Please, it's only about eight. Come in."

I probably should ask instead of inviting her in freely but oh well, at least they knew her.

"I see Basel has already went to sleep."

"Yeah. He fell asleep on me while we were watching a movie."

She turned back around "I guess I can go home then, sorry to disturb you."

I grabbed her arm as she tried to pass me for the door. I didn't know why but I wanted her to stay.

"It's alright to stay, if you want."

I half hoped she did.

She stared at me with glossy eyes, for a brief second I thought I saw want pass them, it quickly changed back to politeness.

"Very well, how about a cup of coffee?"

I nodded "Okay."

We both walked to the kitchen, me deciding to prepare the coffee in order for her to just sit. I was too aware of her presence. Basel and Lincoln's house may be big but the close proximity of Bethany to me in the kitchen made it seem smaller. I don't realize what I am feeling. I've never been so in tune with someone like this. Yes I've had flings, it was just that though, strictly casual.

All human beings search for either reasons to be good or excuses to be bad. I lived by that, even have the quote tattooed on my left hip. Bethany made me feel like I should find reasons but I already knew I was too far gone with my excuses to back out. I sighed, this isn't why I was here.

"How was your first official day here?"

I turned to face her "It was quite nice, I have to go pick up my car tomorrow. Basel and I thought we should leave it at the hotel for the night.."