XXII

*Roderick's Pov*

Once again I woke up confused.

Not from not remembering but because Basel was curled in my arms, breathing softly against my chest. I looked at the time, I wonder when he came in. He moved slightly making little noises. I forgot how comforting it was to have Basel in my arms when I slept. During the week we were together he grew on me.

He was so fragile, almost like a tiny puppy.

I smiled at the memories we had just lounging around my house, him sharing nonsense stuff with me. I learned so much about him in that week but he still knew so little about me. That thought saddened me, should I have shared more with him?

"Stop thinking so loud." He groaned.

I chuckled "Not me."

He pulled his hand up and rubbed his face.

"Mm."

I guess he wasn't completely awake and obviously didn't want to be because he tugged the blankets further up the both of us.

"What are you doing in here?"

I didn't care but I knew how much he loved Lincoln, like I loved Klora.

"I couldn't sleep, I have this bad feeling something is going to happen to you and it scares me." His voice got lighter.

"Why would you care what happened to someone who kidnapped you?"

I asked sarcastically trying to ease the tension in my heart.

"It wasn't you Roderick, I know you. You wouldn't hurt me."

I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see me.

"You don't know anything about me."

"Your favorite color is red, you like Pit bulls because they're missed understood by most people, you secretly love Baby Geniuses because it makes you laugh like crazy, you have a minor OCD, you're addicted to coffee, I assume because you had a past habit you replaced with it. You can't cook to save your life, you don't like losing, you keep a pendant with Raphael the archangel on it in your nightstand because he is the angel of healings, your birthday is November fourteenth. I could keep going if you like?" I shook my head.

How could he know so much about me that I never shared?

"You may be a mystery to most people Roderick but you're not to me. I care about you and I do know you, please be careful today. I'm not going to try and stop you, I just want you to stay safe."

He sounded so much like Klora with his worrying about me.

I looked down at him and he was staring at me with his beautiful chocolate brown eyes, begging me with them.

How did I come to care so deeply for him in such a short time period?

"I can't make any promises."

I went back to looking at the ceiling, I didn't want to disappoint him anymore than I was going to.

"Look at me Roderick."

Don't say my name.

"Please?"

Stop, I have to do this.

His small hand touched my face, urging my eyes to his anyway.

"I don't know how we got to this point but I do love you Roderick. It may not be how I love Lincoln, I can't even explain it myself. I love you and I need you to promise me you will be safe."