XLI

*Juniper's Pov*

I stayed where I was fighting for air minutes after Lincoln left. I have never been so afraid in my life. The look in his eyes was of utter destruction. I honestly thought he could have killed me. How did I get to this point? I didn't know that he would run off, much less go missing.

I clutched the ground, sobbing against the grass.

"I'm so sorry Basel. I'm sorry." I shook from the intensity of my crying.

How could I let this happen to him? What kind of sister was I?

"Stop crying. He'll be fine." Her voice made every ounce of sadness in me convert to anger.

I gathered myself off the ground slowly, facing her.

"Don't test me right now, this is partially your doing as well." I hissed.

She scoffed "Just because he couldn't handle the situation didn't give him a reason to run off."

"If you would have-"

She interrupted "Never told him? Then what, he lives the rest off his life believing his sister randomly died or disappeared? Nice plan."

"You don't care about us." I spat out viciously.

She stepped forward, her eyes changing bright violet.

"Every choice I have made has always revolved around you two, since the moment you two first started breathing. So do not patronize me."

I laughed, completely humorless "That's why we're in this fucked up situation? That's why Basel's missing? Thanks."

"And I would sell my souls for his safety but I am too weak to be involved in this last round of his life."

I took a daring step towards her instead.

"Stay out of sight until it's my time."

She nodded "I can respect that."

She spoke like she already knew something I didn't.

I stood there alone once again. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Should I even stay here for him? He looked like I was the last person he wanted to be around. The way he just ran off hurt me. Am I truly saving him like this?

I walked the distance back to the house.

I came back to an unhappy Bethany sitting in the kitchen. No doubt wondering where I've been. I hadn't been here since about four this morning without a word to her. I tried shutting the door as quietly as I could but it was no use.

"Where have you been?" She asked. 

I was shocked that she seemed mad.

"Like it matters to you?" I snipped.

She scooted her chair out, standing.

"You leave in the early hours of morning, gone all day without so much as a goodbye? Do you know how worried I was?"

"Then don't worry about me if it's such a big deal."

I didn't like talking to her the way I was but it had become instincts to push instead of pull.

"You're a fool if you think that. I care about you deeply, clearly the feeling isn't mutual."

"Who's the fool now."

She looked taken aback for a second.

"Pardon me?"

"I care about you to it's just-"