Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Tatiana

I wasn't sure how much time passed, but I felt like I was serving a life sentence. Still blindfolded and tied up, I only had my ears to depend on. These men were talking about Tara. How she was the side chick of some big-shot drug guy who might've been old enough to be our father. Shit, our real one was probably rolling in his grave.

I was devastated and disgusted. You would think because drugs were what fucked up our mom so bad, she wouldn't have anything to do with it. I guess Tara didn't care. She just wanted to do whatever she wanted; consequences be damned. That's probably why I was in this current situation. If Les didn't hate Tara now, he would absolutely loathe her if he was ever to find out about this.

A loud knock echoed throughout the room, silencing the low murmur of people talking. I heard someone get up. "Who is it? I could feel how tense it was, waiting for a reply.

"I got your money for the girl." It was a guy's voice, coming faintly from behind the door.

The men started to whisper to each other before one spoke again. "You ain't her sister. Where is she?" I heard a click echo loudly throughout the room. I watched enough tv to know what that was.

"It doesn't matter. You want your money or not?" Where was Tara? Was this her boyfriend, Deon? So many questions flooded my head.

There was a pause before someone started unlocking the door. "Get back. I'm opening it now. Play around and see what'll happen." I heard the door open, followed by a brief period of silence. "Why are you here?" The guy who answered the door sounded surprised.

"Didn't I say I'm here for that girl?" The guy's voice sounded impatient, but also somehow familiar.

"But she ain't your girl. None of them are! Right?" I heard a low murmur of confusion coming from the rest of the room.

There was a sigh and then some rustling. "Look, it's all there. Come on, I don't have all day."

The guy stuttered. "Oh. Thanks man. Listen, I hope-"

"I'm not in the mood, go get her." I held down a shiver. Whoever this was sounded scary. Were they really my savior?

A few seconds later, I felt someone untying the ropes around my hands and body. I breathed a sigh of relief as I felt the circulation coming back and rubbed my stinging wrist. Then the blindfold was ripped off my face. I squinted against the sudden brightness. I was in a shabby looking apartment. Over on my left, two guys were sitting on a cracked leather couch. Wrappers were littered around the place. I saw super-sized cups from Mcdonalds on the windowsill, where another dude was sitting, looking out. I turned my attention to the front door.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't Jawani, my sister's hardest crush ever. I got up warily, making sure no one was going to come at me. Jawani walked over, before leading me towards the door. It was faint, but I heard him say "no questions". I could comply with that. All I wanted to do was leave and sleep with the lights on forever.

"We're going," he said to the men before walking us out of the apartment. We went down the stairs and arrived outside in an alleyway. He steered me towards the street, where I saw a car out front. "Get in."

Someone was in the front, so I got in the back. "Oh my god, Tatiana!" I jumped in surprise when Tara thrust herself in my face. "Are you okay? No, you aren't, I'm so sorry! I got here as soon as I could, I'm sorry." It was all jumbled up, but I could make out what she was saying through snot-filled words. She looked so pitiful, clutching the headrest with tears streaming down her face.