Chapter 6

Tara

I had no idea where I was when I woke up, but I felt shitty. I was slumped over a toilet with a shoe missing in a small bathroom that had no windows. What time of day was it?

Using the toilet seat for support, I picked myself up from the cold tiled floor and grabbed onto the sink. Immediately, I felt shaky, like I was seasick or something. Oh yeah, I was on a damn boat wasn't I? Shaking my head, I looked into the mirror hanging above the sink. I did the usual inspection after a drunken night. Hair, uncut. Face, un-scratched. Dress, still intact. My feet were only a little sore and I had circles around my eyes. My shoe was gone too.

Deciding it was time to get the hell outta here, I limped out of the bathroom in search of Deon. Hoping that we hadn't sailed to another country, I hurried upstairs to the front deck.

The sun hit me right in the face, making me squint against the glare. I was shocked once I got a good look at the scene. Bodies were all over the place. Drunk bodies, not dead ones, of what I thought were sophisticated people. All of them were passed out. Men that had come in with polos and blazers were now shirtless, and I could see the panties of a few women lying face down and spread-eagled.

The deck was trashed. There were bottles everywhere, some smashed, and others probably in the water. Some poor fish was probably out there swimming in the ocean, drunk.

I couldn't find Deon anywhere though. Patting my body down, I found my phone in my secret hiding place and took it out. I swore loudly. It was dead. It was obvious that Deon wasn't here, so I was going to have to find my way home myself.

I left the deck and walked through the halls, trying to see if I could remember my way off this ship. When I finally got to the entrance, I breathed a sigh of relief. No one was around. I didn't want to be seen. Making my way off the docks, I headed down a random street, hoping I could find a bus stop.

I froze when I suddenly realized I didn't have my wallet on me. No point in looking for a bus stop now. I sighed. I was too hungover to be pissed. I would just have to walk and ask for directions. Since I only had one heel, I took it off and chucked it in a bush. No sense in keeping it.

It wasn't until ten minutes later I came to a neighborhood. Looked like the burbs. All the grass was green and cut, adored with cute lawn decor. The houses were nice and probably brand new. They weren't like most of the places in Southern Gardens, where the paint had been chipped off sides or the stairs were fucked up. I didn't see a single abandoned home.

A car horn scared me, like I was doing something wrong. A black Toyota pulled up next to me, the window starting to roll down.

"Taraelle. Get in this car." When I heard that familiar voice, I considered running away, but knowing Mr. Ully, he'd probably run me over. Slowly, I went up to the curb and opened the door, afraid he was going to start blowing up as soon as I sat down. Shutting the door, I faced forward, not even daring to look at him.

"Put your seatbelt on." Man, his voice was ice cold. It was warm and sunny outside, but inside the car, I was shivering and trust me, it wasn't the AC.

I put my seatbelt on in record time and turned right back around. We were five minutes into the drive before he spoke.

"Is this what you're doing every time you don't show up for class?" He pointed at my outfit and missing shoes. "Partying senselessly until you have to walk home barefoot?"

I turned my head toward the window. I really wasn't in the mood to listen.

"Ignore me and I will drag you to your grandfather's front door looking exactly as you are."