Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Tara

"Why couldn't you just send me to detention?" I asked Mr. Ully. It was Tuesday afternoon and I was making good on my promise by staying after school to work with him.

"Because you would just sleep through the entire thing. Come on, start looking through the assignments," he said, pointing at the huge pile of papers. I sighed before slouching in my chair. The classroom was empty and mostly quiet. I could hear the ticking coming from the clock on the wall, reminding me that I was going to be here for a while. It was very annoying.

"I can't concentrate!" I whined. "It's too quiet."

Mr. Ully nodded. "Fine, how about some music?" He reached into the pocket of his khakis, pulling out his cell phone.

I eyed him suspiciously. "You're not gonna put something weird on, like Marvin Gaye, right?"

I thought he was gonna smack me right there. "What's wrong with Marvin Gaye?"

I shook my head. "Nothing! It's just something my Grandpa would listen to. I wanna hear something a little more...younger?" I said, wondering if that was the right word to use.

Mr. Ully just shook his head, mumbling something under his breath about "trash music."

"Childish Gambino. Put him on."

Mr. Ully nodded, accepting my choice. I got comfortable as I could in my desk chair and went back to looking through the papers. There were just too many. How would I even begin?

"What's wrong now?" He asked, my face pain.

"I don't wanna do this." I sighed. "There's so much to do and I don't know what I'm doing," I said frustrated.

Mr. Ully took out some paper and a pen from his desk. "It doesn't have to be hard. First, look for subjects that are familiar. You can start with those by yourself." He listed chapters from our biology textbook that I knew. "Then, we'll work on the ones you don't know together."

I nodded and started organizing my papers, putting the easy ones up front. It took me a whole thirty minutes.

Eventually, Mr. Ully started gathering things off his desk. "We're going to stop early for today. I'm actually behind grading for other classes and your last tests." I looked away after he said that, knowing full well I failed with flying colors.

Throwing up the deuces, I grabbed my bag from the behind the chair and walked out of the room.

"See you tomorrow again!" I heard from down the hall. I rolled my eyes, hoping magically I would wake up with chicken pox.

🌸

Tatiana

"I just don't think pineapple belongs on pizza."

"You're fucking crazy," I said in disgust. I was considering breaking up with Les for such a disrespectful comment. I'm sure my disappointment could be felt through the phone.

"Don't get mad at me because my taste buds are of an exquisite palette," he said with the air of a rich kid. I rolled onto my stomach, kicking the blue sheets off my bed that had wrapped themselves around my feet.

"Whatever you say. How did your day go?" I asked.

I heard him snort through the phone. "Just stupid. I left school early today to attend a luncheon with my parents, but all I got to eat was cucumber sandwiches. My father kept introducing me to people that I know I'm never going to remember the names of. I shook about 15 hands and hoped to God every single one was washed."