Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Tara

"Coming!" I yelled when I heard someone knock on the front door. I bumped into pink and black balloons that were in the way as I ran through the living room.

Today was the dreaded birthday party. Our living room was filled with streamers, balloons, and confetti, all pink and black. Grandpa took it upon himself to do all the decorating, saying I got my eye for design from him. He also made it a point to tell us we were going to be cleaning it all up after the party. The audacity.

I opened the door to let in Indigo, the only person I would ever expect to come to this lame ass thing willingly.

"Happy birthday my love!" She thrusted two medium-sized boxes into my hands before hugging me tightly. I laughed and squeezed back, excited to see her despite the circumstances. It was crazy how close we'd gotten in such a short time. After the Tresemme Triplets party, we hung out at school and sent each other memes.

"Thanks! You better have bought me something." I stuck my tongue out at her.

Indigo rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it if I didn't. You would go all day bitching. Where's the other little bitch?" She looked around.

I cracked up, so happy to see her. With Indigo around, there was a chance this party wouldn't suck so bad. "She'll be down in a minute, just preparing herself."

Indigo nodded. "Well, my brother should be here in a bit."

I almost forgot. Tatiana had mentioned something earlier in the week about this brother who said he was coming cause of the free meal. I was interested in meeting this moocher.

"I'm gonna put laxatives in his food."

"You better not touch my food!" Grandpa had just walked out the kitchen and waved a wooden spoon. He sneered. "I didn't slave away in this kitchen just for you to make a mess." He smiled at Indigo. "Hi Indigo baby, glad you could make it."

Indigo waved at him. "How are you Mr. Nate? Thank you for having me over."

"Always so polite. Your welcome." He started to move back towards the kitchen. "But I ain't doing too bad, just finishing up dinner. I'll call y'all when it's ready."

"Always so polite," I said, mocking him once he left.

Indigo smacked me upside the head. "Shut up before you get a whooping. Anyway, who else are we waiting on?"

I sighed. "Besides your brother, Tatiana's stupid boyfriend." I wasn't really looking forward to seeing Leslie. He never said anything, but his bitchy-ass looks were enough for me to know exactly how he felt. That was fine with me though. I hated him too.

"Mm." Indigo made a noise in the back of her throat, riding on the same wave as me. I had told her a bit about Les, so she didn't really care for him either. Even though I only met him once, it was enough to put me off. After Grandpa had found out Tatiana was dating, he asked her to bring Les over for dinner. The first mistake he made was right at the introductions. He called Grandpa "Nate" instead of putting the "Mr" in front. Everybody around here knew to do that. Like seriously? Basic manners.

Whatever, honest mistake. Les wasn't from around here, so Grandpa had to let that go. But dinner rolled around, and Les had made two uh oh's. When Grandpa was still serving the food, he started eating! Didn't even wait for all of us to get comfortable, and then, he didn't even finish all his food. Oh man, he was better off calling Grandpa a bitch because that man really took pride in his cooking. It was also just wasteful.