Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Tatiana

I was back to my regularly scheduled program. No crazy parties, no cops, and no more fishnet stockings. While I was in the kitchen pouring myself some orange juice, Tara walked in, sweaty from her jog. Grandpa thought it was the stupidest thing ever, claiming she would catch a bullet between her ass cheeks if she continued doing that around this type of neighborhood.

"Hi babies," said Grandpa who had walked into the kitchen with the mail.

"Hi," we said. Tara opened a cabinet, looking for a cup. I leaned against the counter, sipping my drink. We briefly looked at each other, our faces each saying something different about last night's party. I knew I would be hearing about it soon in extreme detail.

Grandpa flipped through the mail but dropped all the rest once he saw a bright yellow envelope with flowers printed on the front. "Y'all look. It's a letter from your mother."

Tara immediately sighed dramatically and rolled her eyes before opening the fridge. Grandpa ignored her and read the letter out loud.

"Dear Dad, thank you for the new sketching paper. I just keep going through it. How is everything? Probably not much has happened. The girl's birthday is next week, what kind of cake are you making this year? Have oxtails on the menu. You know whose favorite that is. Remember the pictures please. I want hundreds. Make Tatiana smile too. I've started a new project, but it's a serious one. When it's done, come see it. Call me anytime. With love, Darlene."

Tara slammed the fridge. "Why doesn't she just call you in the first place? Phones do exist."

"Well Miss Mouth, I told her to write. That way y'all can read the letters anytime," said Grandpa.

Tara shrugged. "Not interested." She left to go upstairs, juice still in hand. Honestly, I was with her on this one. The letter was weird. For someone that hasn't seen us for years, it was strange when she said things like "you know whose favorite that is." It was as if she knew us. That didn't make sense to me.

I left the kitchen too and headed upstairs, knowing Tara was probably dying to tell me what happened last night. She pulled me into her room once I got to the top.

"Omg, omg, omg!" She bounced up and down, like she had to pee or something.

"What is it?" Maybe I was a little curious.

"I'm in love!" She lifted her arms up high and twirled.

"Okay..." I said unsure of what to say. "Don't you already have that guy? Deon?" Not that I was supporting that messed up relationship, but I didn't want her to end up in a body bag over some love triangle.

She sipped her drink innocently. "Deon who?"

I shook my head. "You're crazy. What happened last night?"

She told me all about this Jawani character and her adventure with invading the cops. I wasn't sure which of ours was more "exciting". Most of her version of the story was about how gorgeous this guy was though.

"I want to marry him Tati," she said dreamily.

I rolled my eyes. Look at her, already jumping the gun. "You do realize you would be sister-in-laws with Hana?"

She snapped out of her fantasies once I said that, a nasty, but thoughtful look on her face. "If that's the way it's gonna be, then I'll just have to deal."

Whoa. How mature of my sister! If you can still be with a guy after you knocked his sister in the face, then maybe he was worth it.

🌸