Chapter 2

Zachary

As promised, I reached one hour early for work. The thing about having a job you like is that you don't mind doing extra work. And I really like my theater job. A real drama theater with real actors and classic plays. You would think that people wouldn't like to sit in a play when there are so many movies and different entertainment options. You couldn't be more wrong, people love it. There's a charm to seeing a performance on stage, the pure emotions and the intense effect, the dialogues and costumes. The flare. Nothing can take away that beauty.

We usually have the same play for a week. Then practice another play during the weekends to perform it for the coming five days. But I don't have to worry about that. Since I am not a performer. I am just a support staff. My job is limited to setting up the stage, getting the theater ready, ticket counter, cleaning and making sure the actors are comfortable. Although the best part about working in 'House Of The Guns' theater is that you feel like you are a part of something, then the crew, they make me feel I have something to hold onto.

"God someone help me get this fucking zip up." Leslie says trying to pull up the zip of her renaissance corset dress with both her hands pulling the dress in all directions but still failing miserably. I take pity on her and help her zip it up.

She turns to look who helped her. She scowls when she sees it's me. Oh god, here comes the lecture.

"Kid, your shift doesn't start till six. That's another thirty minutes from now." she states.

"Carl needed extra hands. Who better than me?" I ask her.

"This isn't about you being better but about why you work more than you need to? Aren't you in college? What are you doing hanging out at your work?" Leslie raises an eyebrow in accusation. For working.

"You guys need me, so I am here."

"No need for that. Your job here is done." A new voice comes forward. Getting louder as the source nears me.

Carl gives me a firm nod just as he sets his eyes on me. He looks around scanning the whole crew to make sure nothing is out of place.

"My shift starts in thirty minutes." I tell him.

"You have been here since lunch Zach. I think you have done your shift. Get your ass out of here." Carl rolls his eyes.

"You are kicking me out?" I ask, incredulously.

"Yes I am." He says nodding again. I knew exactly what that nod meant, it was his way of saying that there was no more room for discussion on the topic.

"You can't do that."

"I am the boss." he replies with an easy shrug.

Everett

I am tired and my bones are shivering. The good kind of tired though. Even if my legs give out right about now, I would still be pretty damn satisfied. Because today's practice was intense. The coach grilled us in the field, there was no mercy in his eyes for our muscles, bones or flesh. My legs shake at the thought of it.

I head off to the bathroom stalls for a quick shower, then head for my room. I definitely need to rest my bones.

Just as I reach the front of the dorms, I see him. Even though only his back is visible to me, I can recognize that honey colored skin and wavy dark brown hair pretty easily. That bastard. He turns towards the stairs and out of my view, heading for his room. Just the sight of him makes my skin crawl. Zachary Alvarez gets under my skin like nobody else. I want to punch that default cocky smirk right off his face. And I hate that I let his arrogant attitude get to me.

But what's unusual is seeing him here right now. He's never in the dorms during this time of the day. Probably getting laid like he is known for. Well one of the things he is known for, the first would definitely be because of his father. I mean who doesn't know the best movie director in this generation. Pretty sure that's the main reason for all that arrogance of his.

He probably isn't getting laid today then. Got dumped by his latest lover or something? Just like always.

Not any of my business. So I continue my walk over to my room and plop myself on the mattress. I sigh at the softness of the bed and the calm of the room without my roommate in here. I should clean up the room a little when I can move my muscles without whining like a five-year-old. For now, I am just going to lay here while all those stupid assignments pile up and make my life a living hell.

The door suddenly bursts open. I look up at the intruder. Speaking of the devil, my said best friend enters the room with that damn smile that he puts on when he wants something from me. And the worst thing is I have a feeling I am going to give in. I narrow my eyes at him, causing his smile to turn into a smirk.

"Whatever it is you want, I ain't doing it." It's no use denying something he wants. He won't stop till he gets what he wants. But if I don't at least try to deny him, my ego won't let me be at peace.

"Oh, come on Eve, I haven't even told you what I want," he rolls his eyes.

I sigh. "Whatever it is I have nothing to do with it Pierce."

"There's a frat party, I want you to get ready in ten minutes, drive us there, so I can get shit-faced and half a decent blow job in the bathroom. Then drive me back here."

I raise my brows at him in an 'are you serious notion. I love my best friend, yes. But God, he can be so fucking annoying.

"We were just given suicide drills in the field, and now you want to head out to party? Dude you take steroids or something?" How he can be so energetic is not something that I have been able to understand in all five years of our friendship.

"Exactly! The best way to let loose after suicide drills is to get laid. I am sure there's a guy or two in their dying to get in your pants. Also, I am naturally this charming, no need for steroids." he says. I squint at him. He smirks in return.

"Do I have a choice?"

"No you don't."

I let out an annoyed sigh but still get dressed in a navy t-shirt and jeans. I take my wallet and keys from the table, then close the dorm room behind us as we head over to my 1969 Ford Mustang, the only valuable thing I own. A fucking beauty.

We head to the Alpha sig with Pierce blasting 'Chase Atlantic' in the car. Well at least I like the band. I park my car. By the looks of it the whole house is brimming with people and the beat of the music could be heard as we get closer. We knock on the door. Adam, our teammate opens it, grinning when he sees us.

"Didn't think you'd come, but man I am glad." he says, sliding the door wide for us to enter. Pierce and I both give him a grin.

The loud music makes my eardrums thump. People are going crazy in here. Literally. I notice a girl drawing on another girl's breast with a permanent marker as the other one screams harder. Then there is the usual extreme PDA going on around. They might as well do an orgy in the middle of the house.

I sigh for the millionth time as I scan the house. My eyes latch onto brown curls at the kitchen counter where the drinks are being served. His head is tipped down as he engages in a heated conversation with a girl. Then as though he can sense my eyes on him, he turns his head towards me. His amber eyes look right at me. Eyes like the bottom of flames. When he realizes it's me his head tilts a little to the side and his lips curl up into the most infuriating smirk I have ever seen. It makes every goddamn cell in my body itch. I can't stand him.

This is going to be a long night.

______________________________