Chapter 8

Everett

He threw the first punch. I might have instigated him, but I really didn't expect him to take a swing. I hit right back. And now we are both sitting backstage, sprouting dark bruises on our face. He has a bruise on the left side of his jaw while mine is on my right cheek.

Jess stares down at us in arrant disbelief. We try to avoid eye contact with her. This definitely isn't respectable work behavior.

“I can't believe both of your stupidity,” She exhales so sharply, her breath could have cut our skin. “I don't care if you both hate each other and spit out at each other but the moment you raise your fists it's a dealbreaker.”

We both nod at her. She glares at us but then returns the nod. “Leslie will look at your bruises now.”

We both open our mouths to refuse, but shut it when Jess gives us a glare. This really isn't the first time we have gotten into a fight, so it isn't new for us to have a few bruises. Moreover, we stopped before any real damage could be done. Since Zachary didn't hit after I hit him, probably realizing that we were at work. Wren, one of the actors, saw us and we didn't really get into the fight. I guess it was my fault for calling him a coward and taunting his sex life with it. In my defense he started the whole thing. God, now that I think about it that sounds so juvenile of us. We acted like goddamn five-year-olds.

Leslie looks at the bruise on our face and puts something wet and slimy over it. It dries fast though. Then she shakes head at us when we still refuse to look at each other. “You guys were at each other's throat this past week but I really didn't think you would actually start fighting. Only been a little more than two weeks since Everett started and guys have already taken a swing at each other.”

Leslie looks at us disapprovingly. I wonder how she'd react if she knew that this wasn't our first fight or that we have hurt each other worse. We definitely shouldn't tell her.

“Get out of here. And you both better get this out of your system before you come here tomorrow.” Jess says, turning to both of us.

We both get up and say our goodbyes before heading out of the theater. I wonder if he will still take my offer for a ride back after all that happened today. Somehow I don't mind it. Actually it feels wrong to let him take a cab. I want to give him a ride back. So before he can say anything I look over my shoulder and say “Come on.”

He blinks but keeps his stoic expression in place. Even so, he still gets in the passenger seat. I don't know why that makes me want to grin.

Zachary keeps looking out the window. He is ignoring my existence. I return the favor and do the same. It isn't uncomfortable, it just makes sense that we ignore each other.

I park my car where I usually park it. Zachary is already opening his door when I see them coming, two of my soccer buddies. They already saw me parking, so they know that I am in the car. But what they don't know is that Zachary is in here too. More importantly Zachary doesn't want anyone to know that he has a job. That's all it took for my body to react before my brain could even process the thought. I grab Zachary's arm and pull him in. He turns to me with a scowl. He is too close. My grip on his arm feels good.

“Stay.” I say. Not giving him a chance to say anything else, I climb out of the car as Adam and Colton come over to me.

“Who the fuck were you banging? It's late.” Colton asks with a smirk.

“You are just jealous cuz he ain't getting any,” Adam tilts his head at Colton.

“I am pretty sure your sister will tell you otherwise,” Colton smirks at Adam.