Chapter 6

Zachary

Everett doesn't say anything. He just follows me, keeping a good five feet distance between us. Not that anybody is here to see us walking together. I really don't want anybody to see that. That would mean I will have to tell them about my job.

“Wait,” he says “Where are you going?”

I frown at him. “To work.”

“I know that,” he snaps at me “I meant why are you going that way?”

“To get a cab.” I grit my teeth so that I don't tell him to shut his trap and mind his own goddamn business.

“No need. I can just give you a ride.”

I stop walking. Now he wants to give me a ride? Not happening. “No.”

“Just come with me man. It's really stupid to spent money for a cab when you are getting a free ride.”

Logically I know that he is right. To top it off, I really need to save up money. I turn to face him, hesitantly. “Fine.”

He gives me a nod, and we start walking towards his car. God, he has a beautiful car. A Kona blue Ford Mustang. I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about getting a ride in this beauty. He motions me to get in as he takes the driver's seat. So I get in and damn. It's a fucking beauty inside too. He definitely knows how to keep a car.

He starts the car and silence falls. Good with me. If we talk it's just going to get into nasty battles between words. But I guess he has different ideas because he asks, “Why do you hide it?”

I know he is asking about the job. If he is trying to have small talk then this isn't how he should start. Actually he shouldn't at all, since we went without that for three whole years.

“None of your business.” I say. My fists clench.

He looks at me then. And it's not the usual anger or scowl that I see. He is actually looking at me like the way you look at someone when they have something on their face, and you don't know how to tell them. I am not going to ask what it is, he can keep his shit to himself.

“I feel like I don't know you right now,” he says.

“You don't know me.” I confirm.

“No, I don't. But I do know that you wouldn't let me see you like this. I am talking about how you are acting right now. Your whole body is tense, it's the first time I have seen you like this.”

That makes me feel self-conscious. He is right. I never let anyone see me tense. I try to relax but honestly, I hate this. I hate that he knows something about me that I didn't want anyone to find out about. It's putting me on the edge.

We don't talk after that. We stay silent till we reach the theater. I immediately get out of the passenger seat and head inside. Not checking to see if he is following or not. I don't care if he is or if he is not. But of course he is.

When we enter the theater, I notice that all of them are already there. I guess I am a little late then. Jessica sees us and comes over towards us with a smile on her face.

“Zach,” she nods at me and then turns to Everett “Everett, it's good to have you here.”

“It's just wow in here.” he says, the awe in his voice almost makes me laugh at him.

“Come on, let me introduce you to everyone.” Jessica says, moving towards the stage where everyone was looking at Everett intently. Everett trails after her. I do the same.