Chapter 20

Zachary

After everyone is done fussing over Everett's ankle, they finally decide to be professional and do their jobs. Leaving Everett to judge their performance while sitting there with his copy of 'The Taming of the Shrew'. He has been skimming it relentlessly, trying to pay more attention to details, so he can help all of us more. It's kind of endearing to see him working so hard when he is not even getting paid. Then again, he does get a whole new experience that many other literature majors don't usually get.

“What?” Everett asks, “You're staring.”

“I am just wondering how obsessed you are about that book since it has markings all over it,” I tell him.

“All my books do,” Everett shrugs pointing at his worn out book, “I have read all of Shakespeare's so many times most of it is stuck in my head permanently.”

“Me too,” I shrug.

He stares at me confused.

I sigh. “Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,
And be it moon, or sun, or what you please.
And if you please to call it a rush candle,
Henceforth I vow it shall be so for me.” I quote the lines from 'The Taming of the Shrew' to prove my point.

This time he stares at me completely dumbfounded. His lips part and then close. I almost laugh but hold it in, but I can't hold back the smirk.

“You're quoting Shakespeare,” He deduces, grinning.

“Why? Did you think you are the only one who can?” I ask.

“No, but I didn't know you could.”

“I work at a drama theater, most of us can quote lines of a drama, especially when you have worked here for more than five years.”

“You have worked here for more than five years?” he asks.

I shrug.

“Jesus, Zachary. No wonder. You can probably quote all kinds of stuff,” he shakes his head a little.

“Just plays. Unlike you, I can't quote any novels,” I assure him.

“Didn't expect you to,” he tells me. “There's a lot about you that you don't tell.”

I give him a shrug, before turning away from him and heading off, trying to get away from where this conversation is heading. And what scares me most is that I'll let him lead us there. Knowing that If he pushes hard enough, I'll let him. But he doesn't, he doesn't push for anything he asks and then waits for me to let go of those things I never had anyone to tell. Those things that I have kept with me for so long that giving it up makes me terrified. And still, I can't lie to him, because he knows when I lie but mostly because I can't make myself do it. I don't want to.

I want him to know me.

I clench my hands. We have known each other for three years but never known who we are really. All I knew was that he was hot and a complete jerk. Now though, He knows more about me than I am comfortable with, and I still give in. I don't even know why? We aren't even friends. No, actually what even are we? Frenemies? I cringe. Enemies with benefits? Does that even make sense? Fuck buddies? Better than the ones before.