Chapter 10

Everett

Zachary has retracted to himself. As soon as we were getting closer to their house Zachary closed off. Violet doesn't seem to notice this. She is still examining my car. Violet is the first person who I have met, who can make Zachary lose his cool like that. Then again if your sister was calling you while crying in the middle of nowhere, you would be pretty out of it too. I look at her without either of them noticing and the only thing they have in common is their dark brown hair. Everything else is different, Violet is pale and her eyes are brown. Nothing like Zachary's bronze skin or Amber eyes.

“Take the right, and the first house you see is mine.” Vio directs me. I take the right and my jaw literally drops. The house wasn't big, it was bigger than a usual house, but it was sophisticated and beautiful. The gate opens and we drive in. The gardens are so perfectly manicured that there isn't a single grass out of place. The whole house is painted in white and covered mostly in glass. I park the car and we all get out.

Just as we reach the front door, it opens to reveal a beautiful woman with ice-cold eyes staring down at Violet. She has the same brown hair as both of them, I am guessing it's their mother. Her gaze shifts towards Zachary. Whatever I was expecting, this wasn't it, she just grits her teeth at him and turns back to Violet. Not even a fucking greeting after seeing her son. But then she notices me. Her eyes narrow. I don't flatter as I stare right back. I just don't like this woman. And it's not the anger or frustration I feel towards Zachary, this is different. It's like I just don't even want to give her any bit of my attention.

“We have company, I see. Come on in. Dinner is ready.”

I had no intention of staying here for dinner, but she is already inside before I could refuse. So all of us follow her. If I thought the outside of the house was beautiful then it has nothing on the inside. Everything was perfect, it felt like I was entering a huge company. The walls were white and the furniture was wooden, dark wood. And for the rest of it, it was dark gray.

Zachary's mother leads us towards the dining table where the dishes were already set. She walks like she owns everything in this house, including the people living in it. A man is sitting there, he looks up at us and gives a polite smile. Not a real smile.

“Aren't you going to introduce your friend?” Zachary's mom turns to him “Or have you lost your basic manners too?”

There is nothing warm or motherly about the way she said that. It makes me really pissed. But Zachary seems unfazed by it.

“This is Everett,“ He says to her and then turns to me “Everett, this is mother, Natalia and this is her husband Brendan.” He points to his mother first and then to the man who I am guessing is his stepfather and Violet's father.

“It's a pleasure to meet you,” Brendan says.

I give him a polite smile just like the one he has plastered on his face. The house might be big, but it still feels suffocating in here.

“Please have a seat, all of you.” Natalia says.

“Thank you, Mrs-” I cut off when I realize that I don't know her last name.

“Natalia is fine,” she waves me off.

We all take a seat and serve ourselves a plate. Everything on the table smells and looks delicious. And when I finally take the first bite I discern that it tastes even better.

“Now Violet what you did today is not how you behave. Just running out of your house like that is deplorable manners. I do not want you to be like your brother.” She says coldly.