Chapter 30

Zachary

Miserable is exactly what I feel. I didn't want to leave Everett. All I want is to go back to the club and let him wrap his arms around me like he had on that dance floor. Feeling his warmth against me. Just drown in him. But I can't, I have to get back home. I need to see my father. That damn bastard has gone and done it this time.

The taxi drives right up to the gate of my father's mansion and stops. I get out and pay the driver. By the time I make my way inside, I am fuming. I see him sitting on the couch nursing a wine glass. He looks up at me, not showing any sort of recognition.

“You fucking bastard.” I grit out.

“I didn't do anything yet, Zachary. All I did was say that I would make your relationship with your boyfriend public, or you can just drop out of your college course and join the filming industry, just like I have always told you to.”

I stare at him in disbelief. This was the reason I had left this house so long ago. The fact that he hadn't cared about me till I was grown up to enter the industry, which I never wanted. “I left here for that reason. I am not joining any industry. I am no longer part of your family. I left and made my life by working day and night, and I am one of the best students in finance.”

Father doesn't even acknowledge me. “If your relationship comes out public then the media will hog you because of your sexuality and of course that would put you in the middle of a scandal. All the attention will be on you and that boyfriend of yours.”

I clench my fists in. God, I can't put Everett through that. I know exactly what my father is planning. To get all the attention towards me so that I will be more involved in his work. From there I will become a public figure, just like I was in my high school days. It had taken two years for me to fall back into the shadows. Having a kid in Hollywood only increases attention and that's exactly what my father is aiming for.

“I am cutting off any legal rights you have on me. I am breaking off everything. And if you do anything more, I am going to call the cops. Fuck that, I am going to release my own video saying how you are a piece of scum. And fuck if that puts me in the attention of media, as long as it brings bad publicity to you too.” I look him right in the eyes.

“Do you really think your new movie is going to go over smoothly after I do that? After your son does that. The media I can handle you asshole, but if you bring Everett into this, I swear to fucking god I'll destroy that image that you have build up so carefully. That man is everything to me. Everything you never were.” Finally, saying it all out feels like a relief. Getting in contact with a lawyer and removing him from my will or from my emergency contact is way easier.

Father's face goes visibly blank. He stares at me for a while. “You piece of—”

“Don't. I am recording this. And now I won't hold back on releasing it to the public. Did you really think I was that helpless and that's why I did everything you told me to? I was just holding onto you. You were the only thing I had in my life so I held onto you hoping you would come around and see me, actually see me one day, but now I don't have to. I know what it's like to genuinely care for someone and to be accepted for who I am.”

We both stare at each other and when I realize that he wasn't going to say anything more, I turn and leave the house. Just as I step out, I feel like the weight of the sky has been lifted from my shoulders. All I want is to see Everett.

I call his number even though I know he won't pick up. I need to explain why I had to leave him there. The truth is I panicked. I didn't want him to see me with my father because I am afraid he would see me differently. And If I had waited, father would have released that picture of us together, which would have led to both of us being hunted by the media.