Chapter 14

Zachary

Dinner is extravagant, too much in my opinion but still less for those sitting around this table. I crave for a cigarette. The fake smile I have plastered on my face makes me feel pathetic. The suit I am wearing feels too tight even though it's tailor made for me. I don't want this.

“So let's get to the important part shall we, Mr Francis. The reason we are here.” Mrs.Simpson says with a radiant smile. This gets my attention, I have a feeling this is nothing good. My heart beats faster.

“Ah… yes. Shall we tell them?” My father says with an equally irritating smile.

I look at the four people sitting around the table and notice that it's not just me who is confused. The Simpson's daughter, sitting across from me looks the same. Whereas her parents and my father share a knowing look. It slowly sinks in for me. The girl still looks confused.

“We were thinking son,” my father turns to me with a smile which nobody would guess is fake “You and this beautiful young lady here, Ashlyn, could get together. You both aren't in a relationship and as parents we wanted to see you falling in love, we thought this would be perfect.”

Ashlyn's eyes go wide. My heart sinks. I have a good idea of why this is happening. I want to punch this man in the face. He is using me as a publicity stunt.

“Exactly, Both of you would look very good together,” Mr.Simpson says with a nod in our direction.

I scoff at her. “This is nothing more than a publicity stunt for your upcoming movie. To get people's attention towards the movie.”

At Least Mr and Mrs Simpson has the decency to look away from me. My father on the other hand looks coldly at me.

“I admit that it would do great for the movie but just look at you two, it's a great match. You both are hardworking and very intelligent,” Mrs. Simpson says. She smiles politely at me. Can these people get any more piteous?

I can feel my stomach churning in repugnance. They are treating their daughter and me like something to be used and never thought of twice.

“It's not that bad. We can break up after the movie is released right?” Ashlyn asks, looking at me as she says that. She is attracted to me. Ashlyn is beautiful, but I can't let myself be used. I don't want her. Everett's face flashes in my mind for a split second. It surprises me, but I put my focus where it needs to be right now.

I shake my head. “I am sorry, but no. I have no intention of being the attraction of the camera. If you haven't noticed I haven't been public for a while. I have no public social accounts or make any appearances in anything having to do my Father's work. Not since high school.”

“But this is a great opportunity for you.” Mrs Simpson says. She sounds irritated.

“No. I don't want to date like this. I am sorry Ashlyn, but I am not comfortable with this situation.” Not wanting to hear any of them utter more selfishness, I leave the house. But when I go out I remember that I can't get a cab from here. This is, after all, the colony for the rich. Everyone has a car. Or more.

I start walking to where I don't know. When I reach nowhere I take out a cigarette and lean back on the wall along the street. My eyes burn but I hold back the tears. I remove the jacket and drop it on the ground, unbutton the first two buttons of my shirt. Closing my eyes, I inhale the cigarette. My head blanks out. I want to crawl out of my skin and never see this place or them ever again.