Chapter 7 - Evolution

"Does fire nova aim in the same way as spore shot?"

"NO FIRE NOVA AIMS WITH THE CASTERS THOUGHT IT WILL ATTACK THE SPECIFIC INDIVIDUAL THE CASTER THINKS OF AS LONG AS THEY ARE WITHIN 15m OF ONE ANOTHER"

"I see"

At the time there was another herd of running spiders passing by. So I decided to test it out. Luckily I could remain in my Monada form to cast the spell so I didn't have to waste mana on the transformation.

"Fire nova!"

Then a flaming mycelium tendril erupted out of the ground and wrapped itself around the exact spider I had been thinking of. The tendril held the spider in the air as it squealed and tried to escape but it was trapped.

"I can feel something. Is that my mana draining?"

"CORRECT FIRE NOVA DRAINS MANNER FOR AS LONG AS IT IS ACTIVE"

The spider continued thrashing around as it was cooked alive. Eventually, it finally died. And once that did happen I got my XP notification.

"How much mana did that use?"

"ABOUT 5% OF YOUR TOTAL BANK"

"Really that little?"

"How come spore shot is so expensive then?"

"AT SPORE SHOTS COPIED LEVEL FIRE NOVA WOULD BE ALMOST USELESS AGAINST RUNNING SPIDERS, HOWEVER SPORE SHOT CAN KILL THEM WITH ONE SHOT"

I supposed that was true. Spore shot could defeat anything with a single attack assuming it didn't have some kind of special defence against it.

"Can I use multiple fire novas at a time?"

"POSITIVE, HOWEVER, IF YOU RUN OUT OF MANA THEY WILL ALL NULLIFY."

"So what your saying is that if I activate 19 fire novas now if any of the spiders take slightly longer to die than the first I wouldn't be able to get any of them?"

"POSITIVE"

"Ok, in that case, ill do 15 at once does that seem realistic"

"POTENTIALLY"

"Ok, I'll do 14 then. That should use up 70% of my mana in theory."

So I did just that I cast 14 fire novas at a time on running spiders. Each running spider was suspended 2 metres in the air by a flaming tendril of fungus.

After a good 20 or 30 seconds of them being boiled by the flames, they started to go limp. Then I got bombarded with messages. Almost simultaneously I heard 14 sentenced being read out to me about the XP I had gained it was deafening and since I could hear them so much with marginally different timings i didn't understand a word of the messages.

I then deactivated by fire novas.

"How much mana did I use in that attack"

"YOU USED 87% OF YOUR TOTAL BANK IN THOSE 14 FIRE NOVAS."

"How come I used so much more than I had expected?"

"THE FIRST SPIDER HAD A SLIGHTLY DAMAGED CARAPACE ALREADY AND YOU LEFT THE SPELLS ACTIVE FOR A FEW SECONDS AFTER THE DEATHS OF EACH SPIDER."

"Oh, I see. That makes sense"

"POSITIVE"

"Did I level up?"

"POSITIVE"

"How many times?"

"TWICE"

"Wow, so I can level up twice every day now?"