Chapter 9 - Out on the Rapero Plains

I start to walk across the arid grassland. I look at the sun and look at its general position. I knew that in the northern hemisphere the sun tended to be located in the north and in the southern hemisphere in the south. So in theory heading in the direction of the sun would eventually take me somewhere that is cooler and wetter and therefore might be inhabited.

I walked and walked and walked. I seemingly had no choice but to transform. into my human self. The body of a monada was much better adapted to the cold dark caves than to have to walk for long distances in extreme heat. So in the end I was a 7-year-old child walking around through the grasslands alone. Without food or drink or anything. I had eaten just before I had left the cavern and I could get all of the water I needed from my food. But I wasn't sure that would be the case when walking in such heat and dryness.

But I continued. The nights were very relaxing and much-needed rests with pleasant temperatures and no sun. But I continued. 2 days went by and I was starting to get thirsty. Luckily as a monada I didn't get thirsty as fast as humans but I was sure that I couldn't last more than a week without eating something wet. Like a good raw carcass. Another day passed and at last, I spotted something in the distance. It looked like a small village.

I approached it as fast as I could. But I wasn't sure how I would get in. If it was a human village the best thing to do would be to be in my human form. But how would they react to a naked child? Perhaps I could lie down in the grass and see if somebody finds me?

It seemed like a valid idea. Byt I'd need a story. For example that I had run away from a slaver. Although it did rely on slavery being a thing in the world.

"Does slavery exist in this world?"

"POSITIVE"

So it seemed like a valid reason. So I was an escaped slave who had collapsed from heatstroke or something.

Ok, so I did that. I entered my human form and lay down about 10 from the village outskirts and waited.

A good couple of hours passed until somebody spotted me. I wasn't entirely sure if that was because people were ignoring me or didn't see me but I was glad that they noticed eventually. I didn't want to be there all night or anything like that.

"Are you ok?"

Called a woman's voice. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder the person shoot me a little, then turned me around. I acted as if I was unconscious. I left all of my body lumps. It was particularly easy leaving my arms limp as I had spent the last few months without having any arms.

Then the person picked me up and carried me somewhere.

"Don't worry I'll help you"

I was carried for a short while and then placed on something wooden. Then a blanket was draped over me. I wasn't completely sure what was going on as I had yet to open my eyes. I also wasn't going to sleep as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to maintain my transformation while asleep, and I couldn't ask the guide or they would hear me. So all I could do is wait for a good time to pretend to wake up.

A big problem with this is I didn't really know how people wake up from being unconscious. So I decided to just slowly sit up and hold my head as if my head hurt.

"Where am I?"

I croaked. I hadn't actually heard my voice in my human form before. It sounded pretty typical for a young girl really and I seemed to have some kind of strange accent that I couldn't pinpoint. Although it was a very similar one to the accent of the woman who had taken me to what I assumed was her house.

"Oh, you're awake? Are you ok?"

"Water" I croaked. It was a bit of a false croak but I was actually very thirsty, just not quite as thirsty as I made myself sound.