Chapter 13 - The city of monsters

As I slowly waddled across the open grasslands now without a horse as it had run off at some point. Served me right for forgetting about it. But as I was walking I checked up on my level-ups once again. I had picked up 4 levels from defeating the lamia alone. After all stat total wise we should have been evenly matched, in theory, but I was too specialised for that. So I won with relative ease.

And from the skeletons, iI had picked up 6 levels. So as a whole I had leveled up 12 whole times. Which was insane.

I wanted to invest some of those points into hp rather than completely into magical power as after all the singular attack from the lamia had brought me dangerously close to death. But I also didn't want to waste points I could be using on magic. After all magic strength was my first priority. As it was the only way to gain a human body that wasn't a small child. Along with having the added benefit of increasing my firepower. Although it would have been nice to have some kind of defensive spell.

But due to the fact that I thought it was unlikely id come across another being as strong as the lamia any time soon I just invested them into magic power. As usual.

I converted into my human form to travel the distances faster.

It had grown significantly since the last time I had used it. My body must have been about 12 years old as it seemed to be just about starting to develop. My grey hair was extremely long all the way down to my mid-thigh and it was starting to get in the way. Clearly, that hair was only theoretical as much of the hair if my human form was a real person would have fallen out or been cut off.

It felt stranger than before because it was easier to identify the body as female now that it was starting to undergo puberty, but the only reason I was in the form at that moment was due to my long legs when possessing a human.

After all, as a monada my legs were very short. So even the legs of a 12-year-old girl were a good 7 times longer. It seemed that speed was the only stat actually affected by the transformation skill. As my legs were able to move just as fast as when I was a monada despite being so much longer.

Eventually, after walking for a couple more days I spotted my first actual city in a very long time.
The city was quite distinct from most human cities. The main architectural style was like some kind of mixture between Moorish and gothic styles with limestone arches and vastly tall gothic spires dotted around the city. It looked quite spectacular. Due to the greater variability between citizens than.is typical for humans doors would often have 3 different hands and be very large. The alleyways were broader than normal for a city from that kind of era and the streets instead of being cobbled seemed to have been cast. The rock still had some of the patterns from when the stone was liquid judging. It was very smooth though and would certainly be more than suitable for modern vehicles back in my old world.

And the streets were completely littered with monsters. There were goblins, skeletons, trolls, lizardfolk, merfolk, wolves, golems, lamias a huge variety of individuals. The city was also partitioned into quarters. I had entered into the lower tier quarter. Where monsters like goblins, skeletons, and lizardfolk would live. But I had shortly later been about to enter the aquatic quarter which. From the looks of things was just a dark water-filled pit.

It wasn't clear to me how the houses were down there or anything but I knew it was inhabited as some kind of blue person with water-like skin has stepped out just as I was approaching it. The signs basically told me everything I needed to know about the quarters. After all the signs straight up said the monster classes that lived in each quarter.

There was the lower quarter which on the sign read. For individuals of lower mid-tier and below. The middling quarter for those of upper mid-tier and upper tier. And then finally the top quarter for individuals of lower Top and above.