Chapter 19 - The Test - part 3

It didn't work. The orb still wasn't destroyed. The orb had just gained significant strength. And was about 10 times brighter than it had originally been. We had failed.

Hombremagico used a spell to bury the orb underneath the ground. He clearly knew that it had built up too much strength for him to destroy also.

"The magic from the orb with make this area rich. The sheer number of orbs around here is the reason why the magic is so thick here. I'm sure that made the skeleton finding task much harder for you guys" He laughed.

"Well none of you get this point. The next one should be slightly easier. You simply have to copy a spell. I will chant a spell and you have to mimic it." He then sat down on the ground and chanted a spell.

Ģ̴̧̖̙̙̼̥̪̣̟̪̃h̷̢͇̗͇͍̺͓͈̦̭̖̗̲͎͎̀̔̃́̌͛a̷̧̤̦͈̰̝̤̝̟̺̓͆ͅr̸̳̘̭͚̝͛́̈́̓̔̋͌̽͆̚͘̚̕͝â̸̡̖̹̤͇̯̣͓̜̠̝̹̔̇̐͐̈́͌͜n̷̢̦̥̮͎̲̽͌́͗͗͒̓͒́̈́̈́̍͊̚͜g̸̣̫̥̑̿̇̈͛̆͌͐͌̾̄̀͝ͅā̵̝͓͆̌̿̌̿̊̎͛͛͛̕̚͝͝ ̶̨̹̝͕̞̮̊̒͗͐̕̚̕̕f̴̨̡̬̘͇͓̠̦̳͖̠̲̼͉͖̎̆͘ȅ̸̡̢̪̻͇̥̺̱̗̹͔͓̘̗̫̈́̈́͐͊̋̀́̊̊̆̏̓͝r̵͙̹͉̠̈́̀͑ţ̵͎̝̣͉̪̙̩̩͓̥͈͖̏̇̈́͌̎͗̒́͂͘͘ë̸̡̛̗̜̞̺͇͇̜̩͉̮̝́̆̑̽͝ͅr̵̢͕͔̦͕̥̂̅͠a̸̗̹̱͎͇̱̲͍͊̉͑̎ ̷̢̭̬͕̘̝̦̻͎̋̉̍̉͂̎͌̀̐͜͠m̴̨̡̭̪̗̿̽̍͘͜͝ͅơ̵͇͓̞̤̞͔̑͑̓̋͛ŝ̸̡̨̛̛̽̐͊̉̀̔̀̈́͐̚̕͝ţ̶̟̤̌́̋̈̆̃͘͝͝ų̵̛̯͔̗̟̣͇͆̉͛̓̓́̄̆̏̄̊̾̅͝ͅl̷͚͉̽̆̄͊̿̕ị̵̢͎͔͎̫̘͉͚̙̻͋͋̈́̀͌̆̚ͅs̵̹̙̑͌̾̚ ̷͈̰̯͇̼͒̀̅̀͑͊̈̔̈́̂̚c̶̡̢͔̫̹̯̩͉̅͋̑̂ŗ̷̱͈̜̤̓̄͋̀͋̍͊̒̎͆͘ȩ̸͖͉͍͖̮̭̪͔͇͕́̊s̴̢̢̠͓̫͓̬̲̫̲̾̎ͅc̴̢̥͎̥̤̰̘̤̉́͜ô̵̧̢̮͎̪̪͙̗̰̟̅́̄͌́̅̀̈̒̕̕r̵̭̳͕̪̲̟̺͚̖̦͎̘̎̐̇̍̆̊͊̎̾͑̕͘i̷̭͓̮̘͎͖̺͇̎̿̈̈́̂͂̇̌̓͛̈́͝ḁ̵̻̝̞̻̲͙͖͆̆͆̏͛̽͆̍̓̏͆̊͐͘͘͜͜

I knew I wouldn't be able to mimic it. I didn't know how to distort in the same way they did. My spell weren't even real spells. They were just copied and combined skills from monsters. The only reason I had to say anything was to differentiate between spells. And there was no distortion in my spells, so I never even needed to distort.

However much to my surprise very few people seemed to be able to copy it. Many attempted and I could only just tell the difference between their chants and the original, but they were distinct enough that it didn't work. Only 2 people were able to mimic it in the end. And it just so happened that these 2 individuals had passed every single other test that far.

Then we had the penultimate test of strength. I had already lost 2 point so assuming I passed every test that was left I would only end up as a C rank.

Then we were tested on how many spell we could conjure off the top of our heads.

So I simply stated each of my spells and also then raw skills as the fact that they didn't scale with my magical power level didn't matter.

I did manage to pass but only by 1 spell. Other individuals had far more spells despite their spells being much harder to remember due to the long complex sentences they had to chant in order to release them.

And finally it was the time for the final test. The only test that every class had to do. The basic fitness test. Even magical individuals had a test for their fitness it seemed. Obviously it was less important than it would have been for, for example a hand to hand warrior but all adventurers needed a certain level of fitness. And for that you'd lose the opportunity of an entire rank thanks to the fitness test.

Firstly we were brought back to the main camp where many of the other groups were already. The 100 odd people were all lined up in a line and then we were asked to sprint to a line about 200m away. I did this and finished in 74th place. Then we did weights as to how much we could lift where I finished in 59th place. And then we did an endurance test where we were left jogging on the spot until we couldn't go any longer in which I finished in 37th place out of the total 113 people.

Due to my positions within those fitness demonstrations I was given the point meaning I would be awarded the C rank. For mages the requirements were lower with a passing grade being that you exceeded 90th place for all 3 tests. Which I managed pretty easily having achieved 74th as my lowest. However despite the low need only 3 of us 7 mages actually passed that test.

The original man started talking to us "Alright so you will have your ranks inscribed onto you adventurers badges upon returning. Just remember this isn't permanent and if you wish to you can retake the test every 2 years to have the rank changed... Now follow me"

He started walking us back to the capital. The journey still lasted the entire day just as it had he first time around although we arrived much later as the pace wasn't kept to the same level as before bearing in mind the increased tiredom of the people and the lower importance due to it not being a test at all.

We arrived back in the city late at night and I simply separated from the group and slept rough on the ground. The truth was that I was lucky that it had rained the one night I had shelter for the night. At least I thought it was lucky until it rained again that night. Soaking my and forcing me to sleep underneath somebody's floor in my true form.