Part 2

I don't even need to move or open my eyes to feel the sharp pain. My head feels like it's going to split open. I open one eye and instantly close it. Yep my head has split open. Darkness. I don't know how much time has passed but when I wake and try to open my eyes again I'm relieved to find it is dark. I try to move. There is pain everywhere but I am able to move both arms and both legs.

I take a deep breath and look around. I expect to see the plane wreckage until I remember I was able to get out of the plane before it crashed. I didn't know which way was north let alone where the plane and the other two men could be. A shiver goes down my back. I don't even know if the pilot made it out of the plane before it crashed. I looked around. I didn't have any supplies on me. I didn't even have a weapon on me. Why would I have needed to be carrying on a civilian babysitting trip. I did have a blade on me.

Before I could break down at the thought of my current situation I stand up. I wince as pain shoots up my leg. With no real destination I start walking. I stumble over a root and fall. I scream out; more out of anger than pain. I just added to the cuts on my hands. I sat down. It was too dark to keep trying to go on. My head was aching, screaming at me. I leaned over and vomited. Great a concussion. I lean against a tree and fight sleep.

As I sat there with my eyes close I could hear the jungle. It didn't get the memo that it was night time and everyone or thing should be asleep. My mind thinks of the different things out here with me. The feeling of things crawling on me didn't help. Even with the hot humidity I was thankful for my flight suit. But it was the sounds of branches moving and animals howling or growling that helped keep me awake. At least for a time.

------------------

As I dream I feel myself lift off the ground. I feel weightless.

Darkness.

I can't bring myself to open my eyes. I feel tired and weak. I feel air blow across the sweat on my face and neck.

Darkness.

As I start to wake I relax into my bed. I moan; it feels so good. What a horrible dream. I wonder but doubt I can get out of my babysitting assignment if I tell Captain about my dream. Or nightmare really.

As I start to open my eyes the light shoots a pain straight through my head. I put my hand on my forehead and sit up. I feel the pain in my leg, the cuts on my hands, and it hits me like a slap to the face. It wasn't a dream!

----------------------

I look down at the bed. It was covered in tatored blankets and...furs? I slowly stand up and look around. I don't know where I am. I am inside but where I'm not too sure. A house? A hut? There is a small table next to the wall. It's dirty and doesn't seem like anyone has used it in a very long time. I see an old wood stove in the corner. With sweat coating my entire body I can't imagine why that is needed.

The thing that draws me closer is a bookshelf. I run my fingers across the old worn covers. History books mixed with fiction and books of poems. Most of them are adventure books: Moby Dick, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Alice in Wonderland, and dozens more.

I am so absorbed in the books I don't notice the arrival of a presence behind me. I don't make any sudden moves. I listen for any movement from behind me. I slowly reach for my knife. Fear pierces my chest. My eyes double in size and before I think if its a good idea I look down and confirm my blade is gone. I start looking around. I search the area for my knife and don't even look to see who or what has approached me. I freeze when I finally look behind me.

I don't even know if I'm breathing anymore. I am frozen in surprise and fear. A man is standing just inside the doorway. He is tall, over six feet, he probably had to bend to get into the door. He just stands there unmoving.

I take in more of his appearance. He has blonde hair down to his shoulders. The only piece of clothing on his body is a pair of torn shorts. This allows me to see every muscle on his body and how tone he is. There is a large scar that runs across his chest. But it's his blue eyes that hold my attention. I have never seen such beautiful blue eyes.

He takes a step and I'm snapped out of my trance. I take a step back and feel the bed on the back of my legs. So many horrible thoughts cross my mind. He doesn't step closer but moves towards the table. He doesn't take his eyes off of me. He picks something up. My heart races when I see my blade in his hand. He starts towards me and I stand my ground. I've trained in hand-to-hand combat, I can do this. As I clench my fists, forgetting about the cuts and bruises, I wince in pain. I ignore it and watch as the man slowly approaches me.

Shock. He stops in front of me and holds the blade out for me to take. Cautiously I reach out and retrieve the knife from his hand.

"Thank you."

My eyes travel up his chest to his face and come to a stop at the blue eyes staring straight back. I can't deny my heart is racing, for more than one reason. The way he is looking at me makes me feel like...like he's never seen anyone like me before.

My brain starts going crazy with questions. He must have brought me here. He gave me my knife when I clearly was frightened. I can already start to feel my defenses lower. But who is he?

After an intense moment of staring at each other without moving I see from the corner of my eye his hand slowly rises. I take a deep breath and freeze. My heart racing as I try not to flinch away when the tips of his fingers barely touch my cheek. His touch is so soft it's like feathers sweeping across my cheek. My eyes close without my consent. When I look back at him his eyes are no longer on mine but his gaze seems to follow his fingers. I can only describe the look on his face as awe. His hand drops to my shoulder and runs down my arm. He grabs my hand and holds it up. I watch as he looks from my hand to his own and it hits me. It must be my darker skin tone.

I pull my hand back.

"Who are you?"

We stare at each other but he says nothing. My stomach growls and I realize how hungry I am. I don't even know what time it is or hell what day it is. When was the last time I ate? With no word or sign to where he is going I watch as the stranger leaves the small house and disappears. I lay back down on the bed and my head spins a bit. As I stare at the ceiling of this unusual structure I accept that I have crashed into the jungle and gone insane.