Part 30

I wake up and I hurt. My whole body hurts. My head is all foggy. I try to wrap my mind around what is going on and where I'm at. I open my eyes. The room is dark. I am relieved to see the only thing attached to me is a heart monitor on my finger. When I see Tarzan sleeping in the chair next to me all my emotions come pouring out. I am a hot mess, sobbing into my hands. 

"Jane!"

I drop my hands and see a blurry Tarzan standing next to my bed. I don't say anything but I can tell he is concerned. 

"I'm so sorry...I tried...I didn't..."

He hushed me and wrapped his arms around me. His shoulder brushed a sore spot on my face. He instantly pulled away. 

"I'm fine. Please just hold me."

I love that he doesn't have to say a thing to communicate to me. He expresses so much in his face. He gently wrapped his arms around me. Staring at me, watching for any sign he was causing me any pain. He leaned in and with gentle, butterfly soft kisses starting at my forehead left a line of kisses across my face. Before kissing me softly but with so much emotion on the lips. Tarzan climbed into bed with me and although it hurt a little I fell asleep resting on his chest. 

I was barely asleep when the door opened and I was jarred awake. Tarzan’s arm tightened around me. I lift my head, squinting, and look at the intruder. 

“You’re awake. That’s great to see. I will just check your vitals and let you rest. I will inform the doctor that you are awake and he will come check on you later.”

Nurse Libby rambled as she walked around the bed checking my vitals. Several emotions were running through me but I was too tired to react to anything. I stayed silent while Tarzan expressed a quiet thank you. When she left I felt Tarzan kiss me on the top of my head and squeeze me before sleep finally pulled me back under. 

------------

I woke to the morning light fighting to get into my window. Tarzan got me breakfast and the doctor did his exam. I can’t wait to get out of here. I take advantage of my now empty room to take a nap. That is until someone knocks on my door. 

“Come in.” I yell towards the door. 

I look up and smile as I see Sam walk into the room. 

“I was wondering when you’d be by to visit me.”

He stood awkwardly by the door with his hands in his pockets. 

“Thank you...” It’s all I can get out.

He rubs the back of his neck. 

“It was not a problem. You know I’d do anything to help you. When he told me you were gone I started to lose it. I couldn’t stand the waiting and almost broke protocol.”

“What? You break the rules?” I teased him.

“You know how it is with debriefings and paperwork. I knew you were safe and he was here with you when you woke up. I also knew you needed rest so I went home before coming here. Or else I would have been here a hell of a lot sooner. ”

“It’s ok. I understand. You are here now.”

I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around him. As I breathe in the scent that is Sam I relax in how familiar he is. I start to cry. Whatever was holding me together had broken as I suddenly realized I’m home. After a moment I pull myself back together, wipe my eyes, and smile back up at him. 

“Sorry about that.”

“It’s no problem, Gabs.”

There’s a knock on the door and Sam’s reaction is to instantly step away from me. I try not to laugh as I look to see who is coming in. My smile dropped a little when Nurse Libby entered. 

“I have some paperwork for you and to tell you...” she looks at Sam. “I’ll wait until you are alone.” 

Sam’s phone starts ringing. He excuses himself from the room and I am left with Nurse Libby. 

“You didn’t have to hold back because of Sam.”

“The doctor has decided to keep you here for another forty-eight hours.” She tells me. 

“What?!” I snap, I thought I was going to be discharged in a few hours. 

“Um…because of your previous history, he thinks it’s best after this traumatic event that you stay here.”

Just her mentioning my “traumatic event” sends me back to that tent. A shiver runs down my back. 

“If you have any doubts I recommend you stay…as your nurse and as a friend.” 

I give her a blank stare. This woman thinks we are friends? I think about how nice and helpful she was during Tarzan’s stay. I started to think of her as a friend back then. But then I left and when I got back she had grown close to him..too close. Even after that whole situation she was always nice and respectful during my first stay here. And now she is trying to help me. I nod and smile at her. 

“I understand. I don’t want anyone worrying about me and my mental health. I’ve made everyone do that enough. I hate being here but I agree it’s in my best interest.”

She smiles and writes something down on her clipboard. I look up when I see the door open. I expect it to be Sam but I’m happy to see Tarzan. He stops in the doorway,looking at the two of us. 

“Well that’s it for me. I will be in later to check on you and give you your meds. Just press…well you know.” Libby stumbles over her words as she leaves the room. 

Once she leaves Tarzan walks over to me and wraps me up in his arms. I collapse into him. He gently picks me up and puts me back in bed. He brushes my hair out of my face and kisses me.

“Sorry I took so long, but the house is ready. The kitchen is stocked and…”

“I have to stay here for a little longer.” I cut him off, regrettably.

“What? Why?” His eyes scan over me, like he can find the problem himself. 

“Because I have a history of hurting myself, the doctor wants to keep me here for a couple more days. I hate staying here but I agree it’s best. But you should go home and sleep. There is no reason for you to be uncomfortable.”

“I’m not leaving you here.” His face is stern and I know I’m not going to change his mind. 

“Well I guess we have gotten pretty good at sharing a hospital bed while you were here. I’m starting to see this place as a second home for us.” I tease. 

“You are my home…My Jane.” 

My insides melt. I feel so safe with him here. He climbs into bed with me and starts kissing me. I thought hits me and I pull away.

“Wait, I don’t want Sam to walk in on us.”

“Don’t worry. I passed him when I came in. He had to go but he said he would be back tomorrow for ‘movie night’ if you were still here.” 

I smile. Look at them being, dare I say, friendly. I pull him against me and kiss him with all of my heart.