Part 10

I knock on the door to Tarzan's room. He opens the door. He is a god! His hair is wet and he's only wearing his sweatpants. He must have just gotten out of the shower. I snap myself out of it and walk into his room. I head straight for the kitchen area and unpack the groceries. 

I turn around to find Tarzan standing in the middle of the room watching me. Goosebumps creep across my body. I smile.

"Do you eat meat? I've only ever seen you eat fruits and nuts and what not....I got chicken for dinner but I don't have to use it." 

I wonder why he makes her so nervous that I always find herself rambling on to him. I smile and start again.

"If I make chicken, will you eat it?"

He smiles at her and nods.

I start by making the chicken and noodles. As it cooks I start on homemade mash potatoes. This whole time Tarzan watches me, like I am the most interesting show on TV. I hum quietly as I peel the potatoes. Once they are done I put them in water and start on the salad. Everytime I turn around I see him watching me. He has moved closer and leaning against the wall. I'm trying not to stare back at him. I keep myself busy; stirring, cutting, and stealing glances at the half naked man smirking at me. 

I set the table and sit down. Tarzan makes his way over and sits down awkwardly. I look at him and hold in a laugh. He looks strange sitting in the chair. It is sobering when I think he probably hasn't sat at a table to eat like this since his parents passed away. I smile at him as he looks up at me from his plate.

"Thank you!"

I will never get used to hearing his voice. He is talking more and more and yet everytime my heart skips a beat. 

"You're welcome."

He takes a few bites and my spirit soars knowing he is enjoying the food I've made. I am not a good cook and secretly afraid I had messed something up. We eat our food in a comfortable silence as we always have. It makes me miss his home in the jungle. It makes me wonder if he misses home too. 

I clean the table and put the dishes in the sink. We sit down together on the couch. I find myself fidgeting with my hands nervously. I need to tell him I'm leaving...again. I have so many questions for him: What will he do? Will he go back or stay? Will he miss me? Does he want me to stay? But I don't ask them because I can't change the fact I have to leave and knowing the answers would be torture. 

As usual Tarzan can read me better than I let on and he moves closer to me. He gently pulls me into his arms. I fight back the tears and just let out a sigh. My face and hand rests on his chest and I try to focus on his breathing. How is he always so calm when my emotions are doing things I've never experienced in my life. I guess that's what happens when you find something you can't half. 

We don't belong together. He belongs in the jungle and I belong wherever the US Air Force sees fit to put me. I am a soldier, at least for the next two and a half months. Accept it!

I push myself back and smile at him. I stand up and straighten my clothes. 

"I should be going."

I see a flash of something cross his face but he just smiles and nods. He follows me to the door. I stop and it's an awkward moment. He smiles and leans down to kiss me on the forehead.

"Good night, Tarzan!" 

He lets out a small laugh at my nickname for him as I walk away. 

On my way back to my room I check my mail. Sure enough my notice about being sent back to the States is in there. I look at it in horror. I leave Monday! I knew they wouldn't waste time but TWO DAYS?! I have only two days left with Tarzan.

As soon as I make it to my bed I collapse and cry. I try to tell myself I am stronger than this. I have never fallen apart because of a guy. I am a strong independent woman! So why do I feel like this?! He's just a guy and he probably doesn't feel the same way. I hate feeling like this. Distance will be good...right?