Part 9

It is Friday and Tarzan is being released from the hospital. I have so many mixed emotions. I am happy and relieved he is doing well and up moving around again. But this also brings questions; like what will he do now, will he stay, will he go back to his home in the jungle? I am afraid to ask. These thoughts are running through my head as I leave my room to head to get Tarzan from the hospital. 

I'm surprised to find Sam just outside the barracks, pacing back and forth. 

"Sam?"

He looks up suddenly like he has just been caught.

"Gabi."

My forehead creases. He rarely calls me by my actual name. I really look at him, he seems nervous. My heart speeds up, my thoughts go straight to Tarzan. He steps closer to me.

"I just talked to my dad..."

This takes me back. I sigh that nothing seems to be wrong with Tarzan. I am just jumping to things. I try to smile at him. 

"Gabi, they have decided to station you back in the states. They think it's for your best; that you've been through enough."

I am stunned. I didn't even know this was a possibility. It never crossed my mind. I just stand there speechless. 

"I don't want you to go. I am going to try and talk to my dad about keeping you here."

"I only have four months left...why would they do this?..."

"I think it's to keep your experience under wraps. They know the press would have a field day with you and Tumaini."

Sam's dad is Major General Clark. Sam is 5th generation USAF and his family is very wealthy and highly respected. He was given the call sign Spoons because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I never really cared about those things. He is a great guy that has always treated me with respect. Even in the 21st century being a woman in the military isn't always an easy thing. We quickly became best friends. 

"Thank you Sam. I really want to stay here."

I am suddenly engulfed in his arms and a tear is sliding down my cheek. I hug him back. I never used to cry this much. I am starting to think I'm broken somehow. I take a step back and wipe my face dry. I smile at him. 

"Sorry, I need to get to the hospital. I will call you later to talk about this more. "

"No trouble. I'm here for you whenever you need me. I will get this straightened out."

We say our goodbyes and I head towards the hospital. When I walk in, if it weren't for his long hair, I wouldn't have recognized Tarzan. He was in blue sweat pants and a grey t-shirt. I had to smirk when I saw his bare feet. 

He smiles at me when he hears me enter the room. 

"Ready to escape this place?"

He nods. Nurse Libby walks in. She hands me a pile of papers.

"Here is his paperwork. You are free to go. As much as I enjoyed having you two around I don't want to see you two back in this room. The doctor will see you in two weeks to check your incision and remove any remaining stips. Have a nice day."

Before she can make it out the door Tarzan grabs her hand. She is surprised but smiles at him. 

"Thank you."

Both of us are speechless, just staring at this amazing specimen of man. I can see the blush cross her face before she looks down, quietly replies a welcome, and quickly retreats. I try not to laugh. 
We make our way out of his room. As we enter the lobby, officers are standing there waiting for us. They salute to me and great me, I salute back.