Part 12

"Sam!"

I spin around and look up at the last person I expect to see here. I jump into his arms and get wrapped up in a hug. He smiles down at me.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you of course. I just got into town. I got some leave time to come home. It's Mom and Dad's 50th wedding anniversary."

We are still swaying to the music.

"Is this guy bothering you?" Matt yells over the music.

Matt is trying to tower over us and look intimidating. I have to hold in a laugh. I know he's just looking out for me. I smile at him.

"No, Matt this is my friend Sam."

I grab Sam's hand and head back towards our table. Matt follows us and we all sit down with Phil. I turn to Sam and give him a questionable look.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I told him we were here." Phil states with a smirk.

I look between the two of them. Sam laughs at my confused look.

"Phil and I went to school together. We also went through basics together."

They are both smiling at me.

"Ok I know I've mentioned Sam before and you never said anything about you knowing him."

I am speechless. I look around the table. Sam and Phil are patting each other on the back for surprising me. Matt on the other hand seems tense. I grab my drink and down some of it. Annie and Conner squeeze into the booth with us, causing Matt to push me into Sam. Annie eyes me quietly asking me who the guy is.

"Annie, Conner this is Sam."

They all say hellos. Annie mouths Oh my God with her eyes twice their normal size. I laugh.

"I've heard a lot about you Sam but I didn't know you were in town." Annie says.

"Neither did Gabbie. I wanted to surprise her."

The rest of the night is a blur. Drinking has never been my thing. I am relieved when Matt drops me off back at home. He has been moody most of the night but I just shrug it off as I wave goodbye.

Once inside I am relieved to be alone where it's quiet. I had a great time but at the same time there is a weight on my chest. Seeing Sam here has brought up a lot of emotions and thoughts I have fought hard to keep down. As I lay down to go to sleep a single tear runs down my cheek at the memory of strong arms holding be as I fall asleep.