Part 31

After three nights in the hospital I am happy to be home...and by home I mean Tarzan's bungalow. Sam said I was welcome to continue staying with him but we both knew I needed to be here. After everything that happened in the jungle, good and bad, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. And Sam knows Tarzan will keep an eye on me and if I stayed with him I'd be alone when he went to work.

Tarzan has been quiet, more than usual. He always seems so deep in thought. Like now, as he leans over the side of the tub and gently washes my back, his internal focus is somewhere else. I sigh and relax into my hot bath water. He will speak to me when he's ready, he always does.

He is still distracted during dinner and as we lay down to sleep. I can't take it.

"Is everything alright?" I ask.

"Hmm?"

"You seem...distracted all day. And maybe longer if I think about it. What's wrong?" I sit up and look down on him.

"Just thinking about the future."

I nod. I have been too. It tends to happen when you think you have lost the love of your life and face death yourself.

"You are my future. If you have any doubts about us...don't. I love you and I am not going anywhere."

I watch as his face lights up before his concerned look returns.

"I love you too. Would you be happy living in the jungle, just the two of us? Or would you be happier here in town?"

He seems so insecure and nervous. When I was first staying with him I would have said no way I could live out there. But now, I know I could make anything work as long as we are together.

"I was offered a job." He blurts out.

This takes me by surprise. I can't tell if he wants the job or not. I'm confused.

"So do you want to stay here for the job?" I ask.

"Actually this job requires moving back to the jungle." He hesitates.

"That's great. Why do you sound disappointed?"

He looks at me confused.

"I thought you would want to stay here."

"You are worried about me?" I moved closer to him, straddling his lap. "I love you and I love your home in the jungle. I know you would be happier there and if this job allows that then take it. I will go wherever you go. I know there are things I will have to get used to living out there but I will make it work. So tell me more about this job."

He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer, kissing me.

"Well Sam actually came to me yesterday and told me they wanted to offer me a job. I would get to live back at home and basically do security sweeps of areas of the jungle where they are having trouble with poachers and illegal mining. He said I was the best man for the job because of how well I know the jungle. They are taking into account your military background too."

"That sounds great. Did you tell him yes?"

"No, I knew I had to talk to you first. I thought you would want to stay here."

"Tomorrow tell Sam we will take the job!" I smile at him.

I cuddle into him and my eyes drift close. I feel his lips press against my head.

"I love you, My Jane. I promise I will spend everyday making sure you don't regret this."