Part 23

Two days...it's been over two days since I've seen Tarzan. He usually doesn't come around when Sam is home so not seeing him at first didn't seem odd, but today Sam has been gone all day and no sign of him. I have spent most of my time glancing out the window. I am sitting on the couch trying to pay attention and get into a new show. I nearly jump off of the couch when Sam comes in the front door. I look at the time.

"Did I scare you?"

"Yeah, I didn't realize it was so late."

He comes over and collapses on the couch next to me. It is silent.

"So I don't know how to tell you this."

I look over at him and I know by the look on his face I'm not going to like this. My heart drops and I instantly think of Tarzan.

"I learned something today. Some time over the weekend Tumaini was escorted off the base and "unofficially" instructed not to come back."

"What? Why?"

"I guess since he's done with all of his rehab and medical stuff and they really want some distance from him because of the whole incident. The crash and you going missing was bad press. They are trying to keep soldier accidentally shooting civilian out of it. Then there is also his outburst at the hospital..."

I am already up, heading to my room to get dressed.

"That is ridiculous! I have to find him."

As soon as I'm ready I head out the door with Sam hollering at me as I go. I don't even think about stopping as I take off for the main entrance to the base. Once I'm off  base I realize I have no idea where I'm going. I knew he wouldn't be sitting outside the gate waiting for me but I have to find him. I just keep walking hoping to randomly find him I guess. Then it hits me...his spot in the jungle on the edge of town. I take off at a sprint. 

No such luck! I drop to the ground and try to catch my breath. I am so exhausted from the run and from worrying. The thought that he might have gone back home crosses my mind. I shiver at the possibility. He wouldn't leave me, would he? I look up and notice how dark it is getting. It's darker under the tree cover but I know the sun is starting to set. I'm about to just head back to base when my cell goes off. I know Tarzan doesn't have a phone but I still pull it out of my pocket quickly, hoping its helpful in my search for him. 

called around. he left an address. be safe and let me know when you will be home. -S

Relief washes over me as I open the attachment that has Tarzan's given address. I have mixed emotions; confusion, relief, excitement, and still fear. I start running again. I look around and come to find the address isn't too far from his stop in the jungle. I shouldn't be surprised. 

When I get to it I find a small bungalow style house on the edge of the jungle. I hurry to the door and knock. Part of me hopes if this is a mistake I don't scare whoever does live here. And a small part of me fears Nurse Libby will answer the door. 

When the door swings open I can not stop myself from launching my body at him. I know I'm holding back tears and I am sure my eyes are red and puffy. My body is soaked in sweat and my breathing is labored. I must look like a hot mess. He quickly pulls me away and looks down at me. I am surprised and taken back when I see anger storming in his eyes. 

"What's wrong?"

"I just found out what happened. I had to find you. I was so scared you might have left."

I see the anger vanish from his face.

"I already told you. I won't go back unless you come with me."