Chapter 34: Dean

Chapter 34: Dean

Something had happened to Veronica.

She was acting a bit weird. Stealing glances of me here and there but looking away when I was making eye contact. She literally ran away when I had tried to approach her once.

She was both avoiding me and looking at me as if she wanted me to talk to her.

Lord above, there should be a manual for all the signals girls send. Mankind's collective evolution timeline of six million years is not enough.

I was clicking some pictures on my phone of this great desert and my friends when Minnie told us to gather around for an announcement. We all had gotten down from our majestic beasts to stretch our legs a while ago. Veronica was talking to Rehman about something at some distance, but she could see me, in the direction and way in which she was standing.

I borrowed a water bottle from Zavier's bag and made my way towards where everyone was. Even though I was wearing appropriate footwear, it felt my feet were being burned. Or maybe it was just the pedicure I had received yesterday. Never had I ever been through something as relaxing as that. I felt like a new human being by the time it was done.

Lost in my thoughts, I accidentally dribbled some water on myself, and found the action quite pleasant. I proceeded to pour just a teeny amount of water on my face to feel coolness again. But then I was faced with the dilemma of how I will wipe my face.

I figured my shirt will probably do the trick as it was clean only, so I grabbed the ends and bent down slightly so that I could pat myself down. However, that action remained incomplete as just as I was about to proceed, Veronica's eyes snapped to me.

She remained where she was, a distance apart, but was just observing me.

Heat of the desert was nothing in comparison to her gaze. She looked over at me slowly, appraising me from top to bottom and then vice-versa. Never had I ever been so thankful for working out in the gym so much. I wasn't over the top muscley, but I did have a lean body.

She avoided my eyes for a while, but when she finally looked...

There are no words to describe it.

It was only for a second, but...something had shifted in our dynamic. I could feel it.

I thought back to what had happened and if I had done something to result this reaction from her. Maybe she didn't want to be saved from falling down the camel? Maybe her arm pains and she think I did it intentionally? If that's the case, I might need to tell her I was very sorry, and I just did what I thought best from the reflexes taught to me by the academy. She has to understand that. It makes perfect logic to me.

I saw Veronica look back at Rehman and smile as she shook hands with him.

Or, maybe I was misunderstanding the look she passed me.

My brain went into overdrive. I started overthinking and suddenly, I felt uncomfortable.

Maybe she wants to sign on Rehman as her showstopper. He had expressed some desire in the industry when the safari had started. He was a good-looking guy, sure and I can see how it will be beneficial for the publicity of her brand if the showstopper is a local. That is what is in these days.

I took in a shuddering breath, suddenly feeling at a loss as to what I should do. I know I am screwing up trainings. But I can try harder. No, I will try harder. I will make Johana love me. I know I had never imagined myself to be a model, and after this, I will go back to being a NYC firefighter. But the gut-wrenching thought of losing this opportunity...this experience...Veronica...