Chapter 17: Veronica

"Okay, okay, okay..." Dean chuckled, "I got one too.

"So, one day, an attractive young woman on a flight from Ireland asked a Priest beside her, 'Father, may I ask for a favor?'" Dean said as he took on a high-pitched voice, trying to imitate a woman. I burst out laughing in anticipation, clutching my stomach to hold myself together.

"The Priest replied, 'Of course, my child, what may I do for you?'" His voice took a deep husky tone now, trying to speak like an older guy. By this time, I had sobered up a little and was paying close attention to his joke.

"'Well,' the girl said, 'I brought my mother an expensive hair dryer for her birthday. It is unopened but is way over the Customs limit. I am afraid they will confiscate it. Is there any way you could carry it through customs for me? Hide it under your robes?' The Priest thought for a while before saying that he would love to help her, but he will not lie if he is caught. The woman agreed.

"When they got through Customs, she let the Priest go first. As procedure goes, the official asked if the Priest has anything to declare. The Priest replied. 'Son, from the top of my head down to my waist, I have nothing to declare.' The official thought this answer was strange so he asked further. 'Father, what do you have to declare from the waist to the floor?'"

I accidentally let a laugh escape, not knowing the reply of the Priest, but knowing it will be funny as hell. Dean smiled at me, amused, before going back to his story.

"The Priest simply said, 'I have a marvelous instrument designed to be used on a woman, but which is, to date, still unused...'" He winked.

This was it. I was laughing so much that no sound was escaping my mouth. My cheeks hurt and I grabbed one of them to alleviate the pain. Dean was laughing with me too, but his melodious voice was echoing in the small room.

"Oh Lord, I would have paid to see the reaction on the woman's face." I commented before sighing and laying back, some giggles still escaping in the aftermath of that fantastic joke.

Dean audibly blew out his breath and settled back in his seat. We had been here, alone, for almost half an hour now. At first, it was kind of awkward, but after I had accidentally cracked a joke, the ice had broken. Then it was almost war of jokes. It was as if we were both trying to top the other one with more and more jokes.

It was so much fun.

I looked at Dean and found him looking back at me, with a look I couldn't decipher. I gulped slightly, my throat feeling dry as he leaned forward, towards me. I opened my mouth to say something, when there were three short knocks.

I looked at the door, only to catch it opening. A brunette man stepped inside, wearing a blue shirt and brown leather jacket. His legs were enclosed in black jeans and his feet were in a pair of Converse. His hair was wind-blown giving him a bad-boy look.

He was good looking, very good looking but he didn't hold a candle to Dean.

But wait, who is this guy?

The man closed the door behind him, making Dean stand up. He went towards the other side of the bed, in between me and the mystery man, and crossed his arms across his broad chest in a defensive manner.

The male who had just came into my room raised an eyebrow, amused, reached behind his back and pulled out his wallet. Flicking it open, he showed us his badge.

"Detective Jake Nicola. I need to talk to Ms. Rivers." He said in a firm, authoritative voice.

"Then do it." Dean shrugged and I watched in excitement how the muscles in his back rippled under his shirt with that small movement, "She is right here."