Chapter 22: Dean

Chapter 22: Dean

"Hey, listen," I made Veronica stop from getting into her car by grabbing her hand, "I am sorry about my father." I apologized.

Her grey eyes met mine. "He didn't know! It is not anybody's fault!" She grinned, nonchalant.

I scanned her face for any lies she would be telling me. I found none. But guilt was consuming me. "I am sorry for..." I couldn't even finish my sentence. I didn't know what to say. I was referring to the question my father had asked about her family.

I felt her cold hands grab my face. "It is not his fault that I am an orphan, Dean."

I lowered my gaze. I couldn't bear to look at her face. She had revealed this information an hour back and it was something nobody had expected. She later joked about not having any curfew or grounding which lightened the mood somewhat, but I could feel myself just thinking about how privileged I was. And how sad I was, for her.

Sure, she had her best friends Zoey and Alexander to take care of her, but family?

I came back to reality when she kissed my cheek, making me smile.

"I can actually feel the gears in your mind turning, man, just chill." She grinned again; her cheeks red due to the cold. I smiled at her, watching her red hair blow in the slight wind. I tucked a fly-away lock behind her ear.

I liked her.

I nodded and stepped back. I watched as she slid herself in the seat of her BMW and start the car. Slightly huffing, she pushed the window down. She was looking for something on the seat beside her when I leaned down to see her face better. It was an innocent act, but due to the closeness, I was able to see how her pupils dilated when she turned around.

"Dean, please don't forget." She gulped slightly, her blush coming to attack her ears this time. She was affected by me. I smirked. This piece of information was giving me some wicked thoughts.

"I will come by your office sharp at 10, don't worry." I breathed. I was staring into her eyes and despite the cold, I felt ridiculously warm. The air felt electric and my body was humming in response. Never had I ever felt this way about anybody before. This was all new territory.

Her grey eyes looked like my own personal aurora borealis. The light from the dashboard of her car and the far away light of the streetlight was all mixing in her eyes giving her an almost ethereal look. She had stopped all motions and was completely focused on me. Her lavender perfume reached my nose and I almost sighed at the wonderful smell.

I wonder what it would be like to kiss her.

I didn't count that somewhat drunken, heady kiss in the club. She didn't know me then; I was all but a stranger to her. But now? The situation, the equation, everything has changed. We know each other. We are friends, I guess. If I kiss her now, she will know I am interested in being more than friends with her. I don't know if she likes me, but I should at least try...right?

When my eyes shifted to her lips with that thought, her trance broke and she smiled slightly, clutching the wheel in her hands.

"It's a long day tomorrow. I will see you at 10." She murmured, making me sigh and shuffle back to my standing position. She took off after I nodded. As I watched her rear lights turn the corner, I smiled softly, getting into Becky.

I always liked the chase.

The next day, I was in for a bit of a shock when I stopped by the tall glassy building

The next day, I was in for a bit of a shock when I stopped by the tall glassy building. Surely this whole thing wasn't hers? I craned my neck up and squinted when the sun's rays bounced off the mirrors and met my eyes. Gulping slightly, I nervously fell in the beat with all the people going inside. It was so crowded that I was literally just pushed into the elevator.

It was an awkward silence when the elevator was slowly going up. A person, behind me, who surely was just as squashed as me, tapped on my shoulder to get my attention. I turned and saw myself looking down at a woman.

"Sorry," she murmured, her eyes slightly shut in pain, "but your elbow is digging into my stomach, can you please...?"

I apologized quickly and tried to angle my elbow away from her. It was an awkward position for me, but at least the woman wasn't in pain anymore. I sighed in relief when a couple moments later the elevator stopped and almost half the people got off.

When I reached the 32nd floor, both the woman and I tried to get off, resulting in us colliding with each other on the doorway. We both chuckled at each other, embarrassed. I gestured for her to go first and she smiled in thanks. As I exited after her, she turned around to face me.

"First day?" she asked as she fell in step with me, adjusting her white coat in her arms. I hiked my bag up on my shoulder as I nodded, making small talk. "You work in Pandemonium?"

"The one and only." She grinned as she held up her black ID card, with Pandemonium written on the side. "You are going to love working with us. But which division are you going to be in?" She pulled the glass door open after scanning her ID and the moderately warm air gave me some relief from the cold. I quickly signed my name at the security desk and picked up my visitor card.

I smiled politely at the small woman and was almost about to reply when a voice cut me off behind me.

"Dean! You are here!"

I turned around and could almost feel my body coming alive when I saw Veronica. Her hair looked unkempt and her eyes were bright. She was dressed in a light grey blazer and black slacks with a white top underneath. Damn fine. I wolf whistled in my mind.

She reached us and pulled out her ID from her bag which was on her shoulders. "I see you have already met Minnie." She gestured at the woman beside me distractedly, giving her finger for bio metric recognition. I nodded at Minnie in acknowledgment. Minnie smiled in return.

"Minnie, this is Dean." Veronica introduced, her lips wide in a grin, flinging an arm over her shoulders and facing me. "He is our new showstopper." 

------

Minnie below!

Yaas, its Gigi!

Yaas, its Gigi!

Please tell me what you thought about this chapter! I really wish to connect with you guys, I love you!

-A