Chapter 23: Veronica

I sighed as I went to my office, the slightly warm air of the radiator hitting my face

I sighed as I went to my office, the slightly warm air of the radiator hitting my face. I draped my blazer on my chair and called Minnie so she could get me my coffee and guide Dean to the conference room, so he can go over the contract. I looked over some files in the meantime and checked my mail for updates from the tailors.

When Minnie came in with my coffee, I accepted it graciously, going over to the glass windows of my office which overlooked the city, stretching my legs. I took a sip from the cup, feeling my shoulders relax.

I wasn't born yesterday.

I knew Dean liked me.

I mean, there was no way a guy just went around throwing those intense yet somehow adorable look to everyone he meets. The way he gives me attention, the way his eyes crinkle at the corner while looking at me; always in a perpetual smile.

And I guess the fault is mine. Maybe I was too friendly with him, or maybe he misunderstood the vibe I was giving off. But apart from being friends, there is not much else I can give him, at least now.

I am fixated on building Pandemonium into a global fashion empire. I want every person to know the name of my company. I have given my heart and soul for this and no one can take away my company from me. It's like my baby.

Sure, I had taken a loan from Alex to start this company, but I found it easier to convert a thousand dollars to a million, rather than one dollar to a hundred. Alex had generously invested in me and I am sure not going to let him down.

My career is something I take seriously, especially after the events which happened 6 years ago. I closed my eyes as I thought about that night. Absentmindedly, I trailed my fingers over my blouse, where the scar was. Sure, many people go to the ER and many people get transplants, and they are totally fine, but I guess I am not.

My psychological health had taken quite a hit that time. I was not in a good place. For quite a while I was reliving the same nightmare again and again. I still am at night.

At any given moment, I feel this illusion around me would shatter and all this, my company, Alex, Zoey and now, Dean would just be a figment of my imagination as I lay there on the floor, dying.

Needless to say, I know I have my issues.

You are forgetting something... my mind whispered as I opened my eyes, looking down at the jam packed street.

Yes, I forgot about one of the major reasons why I can't be with Dean.

I forgot about him.

The person who had saved me from the fire. He appears in my nightmares, acting like my personal knight in shining armor. I had never seen his face that day but his eyes, those dark eyes haunted me. And in a good way.