Chapter 9: Of Who

Just when I was about to run downstairs, the light came in front of me. What did it want? The bright light took over my vision. I couldn't see, blinded by the light.
"Remember." It said. When the bright light dimmed, I opened my eyes. I looked to see where I was and all I saw was myself in the car. It was the day, well today, when I was in the car with Grant and Elaine. I looked around me and I was in a ball of light, watching through a mirror like image. I was asleep in the car. Talia had trouble moving through the high level waters. Elaine was still driving. Grant kept looking behind him at me. He was talking to me or about me. I couldn't hear.
"I've told you already." The light echoed around me. I didn't understand what she was talking about. Then something was happening in the car. They parked near a forest area. Grant unbuckled his seat belt. Their voices were audible now.
"I just need to take a whiz." He told Elaine. She looked half asleep. She just nodded and Grant went out into the bushes. He left the car door open behind him. Elaine slowly dozed off. It was only a few seconds when she did. The sound of the rain hitting the roof of the car and the warm heat coming in through the vents. It was a cozy position she was in. Suddenly two people came from nowhere. They looked familiar. They were Elaine and Grant. It must have been the doppelgangers. They were. The fake Grant came inside and pulled out the sleeping Elaine. They placed her against a tree. They got in and started the engine again. Grant came out from the bushes, saw Elaine against the tree and woke her up.
"Elaine?" He tapped her. "Who's driving the car?" The car started to drive away. "Hey!" He chased after it. Elaine was just starting to wake up. She noticed what had happened.
"Damn it Grant!" She yelled at him. Grant slowly turned to her.
"My fault?" He laughed. "How is this my fault?"
"You took too long to take a..." She just about to say it, but then they heard gun fires. They got down by the trees.
"Now what?" Grant looked for a gun in his pockets. "Ah, found it." he held a gun. It was a normal pistol gun. "We're too close to the enemy base. They could come get us."
"Yes, obviously." Elaine yawned. "Stop stating the obvious, you're boring me." She got up. "Let's get going. We have to get back Ian. If he sees them and thinks that's us, then who knows what'll happen."
"He's a bright kid and you know that." Grant laughed. They heard a crack of a twig. Grant pointed his gun and Elaine hid behind a bush. A man stepped out and he was holding a machine gun and a stash of bullets around himself. Grant pointed the gun to the man's heart and fired. When he did, no bullets came out. He pulled the trigger multiple times and finally noticed the gun was empty.
"You have got to be kidding me." He jumped behind a rock and the big man started shooting all over the place. Elaine was planning her move of attack. She moved from tree to tree, trying to get the exact spot when he stops his fire, even for a second. She was looking for a weak spot. There always are. Thinking like that makes you invulnerable. She grabbed his arm and flipped him upside down, one-handedly. She came around him and stepped on his left arm, holding him down in check. His fingers were still able fire. But he wasn't. Unless... I think I'm over thinking this. Grant is still okay in the future. Why am I seeing this anyway?
"You mustn't think like that, Ian." the light echoed. I was still having trouble trying to put the pieces together. I didn't know why I was watching this, or why I am even here. I don't know what this light's purpose is either.
"Final purpose." She corrected. Another reason for not understanding. I only knew so little. When I looked back at the screen, they were headed somewhere. I didn't know where. Grant disposed of his pistol and was carrying something much heavier. It was the machine gun.
"Stupid police, they never know who they're fighting." He smiled. It was Elaine he was talking about. The image quickly changed and it was me in the car. It was the same day, today actually, like it has been, when I was in the car day dreaming. Someone walked by and stopped by the car. I could see it now because of the light, but I couldn't before because I don't have eyes behind my head. I was paralyzed. It was... The light shone bright. I was blinded for a brief moment. When everything became clear, I opened my eyes and noticed I was not back at the office. Something was up. The light was gone. No where to be seen. I was getting an eerie feeling in my stomach. I closed my eyes. I was hoping to get back to normal.
"Wake up idiot." A familiar voice called. It was my voice. I opened my eyes, nervously looking around. "Wake up, now!" He yelled. I couldn't see him, but it was definitely my voice. The black space around me was slowly starting to reveal my room.
"Yes, you have to get up... You have..." His voice was cut short. The black space slowly came back. The light was back too.
"Not yet." The light spoke. "You mustn't think like that, Ian." She repeated those words again, but it meant nothing. I woke up on the floor. It was back in Elaine's office. My head was throbbing from all that. I remembered who I saw behind me in the car with the doppelgangers. It was the man we are after. He is... the killer.