Chapter 14: Penitentiary Release

After ignoring my question, he started to move from his position, slowly picking up the pace. He was increasing the challenge of this 'game' of his. I was getting better and better at forming my force field quick and successfully. His kept throwing the same dagger. It would hit the force field, fly off and hit the ground. Then he would go and fetch it back and throw from that distance. He was teaching me how to reflect them away from the opponent. I was getting good at that too.
"Okay." He stopped. "Now that we got that out of the way." He said"Let's get to another key factor of basic defense." He went into his garage and came out with three dummies. They were wooden dummies that looked like human dolls.
"What are these dummies going to do?" I asked. I noticed that I was panting just slightly. I have only been training for about a half hour and it wasn't even a work out.
"Breathing heavily is fine. You're only new to this. Your father lost breath in the first five minutes of training." He chuckled. "I'm surprised you lasted for so long. Well. what can we expect from a sorcerer." He smiled. He put each dummy at three separate locations.
"I guess."
"Now," He finished putting the last dummy down. "You're probably wondering what these guys are here for." I nodded. "Well, when you create your force field, you ricochet the dagger, or anything that would come your way." He explained. I was starting to understand where he was coming from. "Now, if you were just alone, it wouldn't matter where the dagger or anything that comes your way goes because it wouldn't hurt bystanders. But, let's say there are people around you," He pointed to the dummies. "Then how would you protect yourself without hurting others?" He asked me.
"I'd have to change the direction of where the object goes." I answered.
"Perfect. But changing the direction is not easy and even if you master it, these are only three dummies. What if your in a room full of people and someone shot a bullet at you? You can't take the time thinking which way you are going to send the object. You have to think fast, or you'll get others killed. It's either you live or someone else dies."
"Or I die? I can choose that." I said.
"No Ian, you musn't think like that. If you die, there will be no hope."
"No hope? What do you mean?"
"Not now, you have to focus." He threw the dagger at me. "Focus Ian." He reminded me. I would let this question slide and pay attention now because he'll come around, I just have to cooperate. The dagger came right at me. I was able to form the force field. I focused on changing its direction. The dagger flew right into one of the dummies. They were placed where I normally send my daggers flying. That was smart, I thought.
"Damn."
"Again." Grant said. He threw another dagger, which had appeared from nowhere. I repeated the same moves. I had targeted another dummy. That's two victims.
"Come on Ian." Grant was growing impatient. If anyone should feel aggravated, it should be me. I was starting to feel the toll on my body.

This was a lot more work than I thought. I had killed over fifty victims. The dummies were all marked up. I didn't know why I couldn't get this right.
"Ian,"
"Yes." I sighed. I was so tired.
"Think of your barrier like the wind. Change the direction of the dagger completely and where you want it to go. I know the dagger weighs a lot, but that's why I am using the dagger. Remember from yesterday, you were able to split the roof in half, the one that fell on top of us." I couldn't remember yesterday. I couldn't really remember the last two weeks. I definitely do not remember splitting the wall in two.
"Thanks for the advice, Grant." I whispered to myself. I have to imagine this like a current. He threw the dagger. Here it comes. I moved my barrier towards the right, away from the victimized dolls. The dagger went flying that way. I successfully deflected it. I was so happy, I wanted to jump about, but I noticed something, when I had moved my barrier and shaped it to move, my left side was completely open. I had a few blind spots.
"Perfect Ian." He took a water bottle with him and came up to me. "Here, I think you deserve it."
"Think?" I took the bottle. "More like deserve period." I drank the entire eight ounce. "Am I done now?" I whined.
"No." He broke my triumph. "There is one more thing you need to work on for defense."
"And that is?" I followed him. He started to walk towards the dolls.
"Your force field is only so strong. Like I showed you before, it was broken easily. Pressure effects your barrier. Too much pressure and the barrier breaks, too little pressure and the object ricocheted goes flying into walls." He explained. "Barrier up." He ordered. I did as he said. "Okay," He placed his hand on the barrier. He started to press harder. This time it took more strength to shatter it. Finally it shattered into nothing. "It has gotten stronger, but you'll need to get better at that if you want to deflect a bullet." He checked his watch.
"What's the time?" I asked.
"It's ten." He sounded surprised.
"So, it's just ten." I told him.
"No, it's ten p.m." He gave reason to his surprise. I looked up at the sky. He was right. The sky was dark. How did I not notice the change. Suddenly I fell. My vision turned dark. I felt weak. I was out of it.
"Ian?" I heard Grant's last words.