Chapter 4: Jeff the Killer

I followed Grant into the bar from the back entrance. When we got inside there was blood everywhere. Elaine was gone and along with the waiter. They were standing at that wall over there, but now it seems to be an empty space. I heard Grant mumble something when he went into the main hall. I looked to see what he was looking at. I walked to the scene of the dead people. Grant looked for the phone, but the wires were cut off.

"Hey Eeen?" Grant said.

"It's Ian, also pronounced the same way as Ian(E-an)."

"Yea whatever, we have a much bigger problem than that." He pulled at the door. "We seem to be locked in." He pulled all the other doors.

"Locked in?" I tried opening the doors. "That doesn't make sense. Why would they..?" I looked at Grant. We exchanged looks.

"Unless they wanted us trapped inside." He said with a worried look. "This is getting out of hand." He mumbled something I didn't quite get.

"Who do you think did this?" I asked. I was a little scared, but I didn't want to show it. If anything, staying calm is our best bet.

"The better question is where's Elaine!?" It seems I wasn't the one to worry about being calm.
"Grant, yelling won't help you in this situation. Do you know what this person is up to, locking us up in here?"

"No, but when I find him I'm going to...!" A loud explosive sound came from the back.
"Grant?" I looked at him.

"I know." He was looking for something. "He's trying to kill us, burn us alive." We started seeing smoke come out from the kitchen. Whoever this is, is serious about killing us. I looked for something heavy to break the windows, but they were conveniently made with durable plastic.

"What are you looking for?" I told him. "We're going to die and you're looking for... Whatever you're looking for!?"

"Would you shut up and stop worrying." He mocked. "Here it is." He pulled out a fire extinguisher from under a guy's body. "Now why would he hide it?"

"Smart Grant." I told him. And soon my fears of being burnt alive were slowly becoming assuaged. "Let's go."

We went into the back. The fire was growing bigger and fast. Grant lifted the extinguisher and pushed the release of the dry ice air into the flames. I thought we'd put it out, but after a short second of using the extinguisher, it ran out.

"No , no, no." Grant threw the fire extinguisher to the ground. "Shit!"

"Grant?" I was trying to be as calm as ever.

"What!?" He yelled.

"I'm trying to help you out. If you don't calm down well both burn. So think of something instead of rolling around in your head about dying. I don't know if you've been through worse than this, but I have to say this is my first. So you brought me along on this dumb hell ride, and you'll get us out."

"How!?" He said. He pulled out his gun.

"What are you doing Grant, you know it won't work. Well find a way, I promise." I soothed his worries. I may not be a good detective, but like my father said "Always look at the positive side and you'll get through, even in the toughest of situations."

"Heh, you sound just like him." Grant smiled.

"You know him?" I questioned.

"Uh no..." He pondered a little. "I mean if he was here I guess you would."

"Right." I smiled, but I didn't believe him. The fire expanded and it was soon filling the main hall. I wondered how many bodies would be burned to death. The thick black smoke started taking away all the air. i don't think we'll be able to get out of this one. Then it hit me.