Just When It Got Better

Lauren:13 almost 14
Zola:7
Bailey:5
Ellis:3

It's been around six months since Meredith and Derek got full custody of Lauren.
They had made plans for them to all go see Carolyn. Derek's mom.
"Zola honey, will you help your brother and sister get there shoes on?"
"Yes mommy."
"Lauren?"
"Yea mom?"
Meredith's heart skipped a beat every time she heard Lauren call her mom.
"Will you help your dad load the things in the car?"
"Of course."
Bailey and Ellis were in the middle row. With Lauren and Zola in the back row.
Of course, Mer and Derek were in the front seats.
"Everyone buckled in?"
"Yea." All of the kids said in there own ways.

They jammed out to music all the way there.

Meredith hadn't really been over to Carolyn's before. Zola had one night because Carolyn was watching her.

"Ok we're here." Derek said looking in the back.
Bailey and Ellis were asleep while the older kids were watching videos on their iPads.
Ok Will you two help your siblings while we get the bags and suitcases out of the trunk?
"Yeah."

Everyone had settled in. Carolyn, Meredith and Derek were talking while the kids played in Derek's old room.
"How are you Meredith? I heard about what happened."
"I'm ok. Everything is ok. I'm happy."
"That's wonderful."
"Hey mom, we should get started on dinner." Derek chimed in. Trying to kind of save Mer from the conversation getting too deep.
"Great idea."
"I'm gonna go check on the kids."
"Ok."

"Hey kids! How is it going in here?"
"Mommy! Mommy! I found an old picture of you and daddy!"
Meredith hated when her kids would find pictures. It was cute. But every time brings back the night Bailey found a picture of Finn.
"Really? Let me see!"

The picture was of Meredith and Derek holding Zola. Meredith had cake icing in her hair from Zola's birthday.
"Oh I remember that." Mer told them.
"Hey mom, can I come downstairs with you guys. I love them but I want to get to know Carolyn better."
"Of course."

About an hour went by. Dinner was almost ready. Carolyn was setting the table. Mer and Lauren were watching a medical documentary.
Then a different Documentary came on.

"On this episode of Seattle Medical. We are visiting Seattle Grace Mercy West. 6 months after a shooting went down. This is the road to recovery."
Meredith was quick to turn it off.
"Mom! I wanted to watch that!"
"No you didn't. Trust me." Derek chimed in.

"Dad, is dinner ready? I'm hungry."
"Yeah. Go get your siblings."

After Lauren went upstairs.
"I thought they stopped airing that?"
"Me too. Oh well, that's over. We are happy. We have four amazing kids, and everything is perfect."
"Mommy!!"

Meredith shot Derek a look of panic. When she heard Zola scream in fear.

Mer and Derek ran faster then lightning upstairs.
"What happened?!"
"Lauren fell. I think she is asleep." Bailey said.
Derek pulled out his penlight.
"Her right pupil is blown."
"What happened?" Carolyn said coming upstairs.
"We have to go to the hospital. Can you watch them?"
"Of course."
"Thanks Ma."

To be continued......