Appeasement

"The kheer is delicious, Sulabha," Kunti said. Vidura's wife beamed from the compliment and offered more to her, glancing at the others as they enjoyed the wonderful dessert that she had prepared for them with much love. Arjuna smiled at her.

Sulabha had always been so gentle with them. So warm and humble. Different from what he and his family were used to ---- the world of kings and queens, their faces filled with pride, chests puffed with conceit, eyes gleaming with arrogance. Trying to outdo one another by indulging in meaningless mind games that did no good.

"Bhima, take some more." Sulabha coaxed the second eldest Pandava. Bhima's mouth was set in a line, but nonetheless, he did what he was told. Arjuna knew, as did the rest of his brothers that Bhima had significantly reduced his intake of food following Mahabharata. Of course, to a stranger, the mountains of vegetables and meat that the servants served him every day would make them question his claim but Arjuna who had lived with his brother his entire life had noticed the stark difference that was getting more and more noticeable with time.

Arjuna glanced at his kids who were laughing heartily watching Shrutasena mock Shatanika over some old, forgotten, childhood mischief. He was so glad they had each other. He prayed that they would never be parted from each other. In life and in death.

"How are things in Indraprastha?" Vidura asked.

"Improving. We received the reports yesterday and thankfully it is not that bad anymore. The administration is still in shambles, but these things always take time." Yudhisthira replied.

Arjuna sighed. Yudhisthira. The dogged optimist in the family.

Although when compared to other kingdoms, Indraprastha was indeed doing a good job.

A knock on the door sent a wave of silence over the Upandavas and Sulabha hurried to let in the newcomer. Lakshman Kumar bowed at them, greeting them with elaborate words that were both polite and pointless, not coming from a place of love and affection but from obligatory propriety. He didn't understand why Lakshman bothered being so courteous to them considering his father had never so much as glanced at them with anything other than pure, unadulterated condescension.

"Lakshman, sit with us. Sulabha has prepared kheer. It is delicious."

The manner in which Vidura addressed him had a hint of genuine affection for the boy. Arjuna wasn't surprised by this. He had heard that while Hastinapura had been struggling under a wearied king, his depressed sons, and a disputatious administration, Lakshman had stepped up to tackle problems that would have made the wisest of kings spend their nights in constant worry. Somehow with a clandestine grace, astute vision, and a piercing intellect that no one knew he had, the young prince had managed to effectively put a hold on the ruination of Hastinapur, ensuring that the kingdom would not be submerged under the tide of poverty, depravity, and profligacy.

"I am already sold on Mata Sulabha's cooking, Grandfather. You need not try to convince me." Lakshman smiled.

"If that is the case, then why not sit with us and partake in the desert?" Sulabha asked, gesturing to the empty spot near Abhimanyu.